Mastering EQ

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
How much eqing do you guys use when mastering your own mixes? I always tend to keep it very subtle, like: +1db on the shelfs and a hpf at 20Hz..

The good thing about mastering your own mixes is that you can tweak the mix so you don't have to eq in the mastering phase. ;) Of course, if something needs a subtle cut/boost, I do what sounds the best to my ears (while referencing of course). But if you find yourself boosting the top end +8db or cutting the low end -12db, you might wanna redo the mix! :D

EDIT:

I do have a habit to slightly boost the 1k-2,5k zone for extra perceived loudness if I'm mastering something heavy.

+1 tiny 0.5-1dB hishelf in the 2k-3.5k area if needed. Other than that just the 20hz hp and 20k lp filters.

I'll usually sweep around the lows-lowmids for some frequency buildup. Although it should be fixed in the mix, often it's a combination of several instruments builing up to peaks in the master, and it's quite hard to tell where to start, so then it's just easier to notch it down on the master. Actually I do this all over the spectrum, to see if there's any peaks at all, and then put those suckers down. I'm VERY careful not to overdo this, though, since I'm essentially lowering that particular frequency on all instruments simultaneously. I have had mixes turn from decent to magic by doing this, and other mixes don't need this at all, but it's always something I check at least.

Also, what you guys said, I kind of always put a highshelf in there, only boosting about 1-2 dB, highpass at 25-35 Hz, sometimes a minus 1-2 dB lowshelf too, since I tend to always mix so bass-heavy, haha.. >:

After years of recording/mixing/mastering my own stuff or bands' stuff, I've found that my mastering EQ is usually very similar from session to session.

+1 or 2db to the lows (0-120hz)
-1 or 2db to the lowmids (120-500hz)
+1 or 2db to the highs (5-20khz)

Sometimes it's shelves, sometimes peaks, but I seem to always produce mixes that need sweetening in those areas haha

Usually a very subtle cut around 400Hz and a slight boost around 16-18kHz and also sometimes a little boost around 1-2kHz although I find a saturation or tape sim can help here. Never have to HPF or LPF because I do it in the mix.