Mastering for Effect

Nauru

Nov 1, 2009
Yeah I'm pretty sure the title of this thread is not really what I mean, but I feel like it's been a long time since there's been a real in depth discussion of mastering on here, not really since that getting your loudness thread.
Everyone talks about mastering loud now, but I never really hear anyone talk about mastering to make a mix sounds like a finished, polished song.

I'm just hoping to get some insight on what other people use to master their songs and if there are things other than just slapping ssl g comp on the master bus to get a more polished, finished sound.

I feel it's biggest challenge is you need to hear your song on a VARIETY of different systems, and ideally in a PERFECT room. In my 10 plus years of mixing and doing it as a hobby, I always find flaws or weakpoints when listening on different systems.

It's a game of fine balance, and something that requires decent gear, a decent room, and a magical ear!!!

Its the one part of mixing/producing that I dont really enjoy :D

About time a thread like this popped up! I'm becoming increasingly facinated by mastering and what a HUGE difference it can make. Its like night day in some cases. I'm currently using iZotope Ozone, which I just cannot praise enough. Anyway, here's a little sample below of a demo I remastered for a band. I think you can hear when the remaster kicks in.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4299941/Frantic%20Amber%20-%20Bloodlust%20%28Original%20vs%20Remaster%20Sample%29.mp3

A lot of demos have a really floppy, boxy sound and are pretty weak cause usually as in this case, they don't know how to record that well and bring forward that power. I especially compressed the lower-mids, which gave the drums more punch and just makes the music sound so much more agressive. I also added a harmonic exciter which actually did a shitload of work for the song. Then I EQ'ed, etc.

It is quite amazing how a good master can alter your perception of the music.:headbang: Not saying that this is a fantastic master as I'm not THAT experienced with it.

Cheers mate:kickass:

Everyone talks about mastering loud now, but I never really hear anyone talk about mastering to make a mix sounds like a finished, polished song.

When it comes to making a master sound good, I think the single most important issue is frequency and energy distribution... and being able to hear what is going on and making those calls by using a full range accurate system. You can get added flavor and color through transformer and tube based compression and processing.

Eq is the first thing I would go for when turning a good mix into a great sounding master, followed by transformer and or tube based compression used in small doses.

Limiting has very little to do with making a master sound good and in most instances make it sound worse. ymmv, eieio, r2d2, etc.