Mastering: IK Multimedia T-Racks Vs GClip + waves etc. Opinions?

Mattayus

Sir Groove-A-Lot
Jan 31, 2010
Cambs, UK
www.numbskullaudio.com
I'm getting pretty exhausted with the lacklustre results of T-Racks 3. It's an amazing program in terms of versatility, but in terms of sheer audio quality? I can never seem to get a satisfactory master.

I have Waves plug-ins at my disposal, and GClip of course, but I tend to use those for individual instrument processing, rather than mastering. I'd just like some opinions from fellow T-Racks users. Perhaps then I'll persist, or cease to use it. If I'm going to get straight up cleaner/brighter/louder masters with plug-ins then I'm all up for experimenting!

Does T-racks have the best audio quality in the world? Probably not, but I certainly don't think it's too bad, I'm no mastering engineer but I tend to just go for something like:

Eq
Compressor (I like opto-comp)
Clipper
Clipper

I compared their Pultec EQ model to some of Alex B's and Analog in the Box's Nebula programs (Massive Passive, API mastering EQ etc.) and the Pultec got owned so hard it was embarrassing. I've used the T-racks Fairchild and Pultec in the past very lightly to add a little something, but with what's out there these days I'm not really sure they're the best option. Oddly the Fairchild actually seems to be a decent vocal compressor, and it's still my choice for when I have to do some mid-side dynamics control. Other than that, I haven't had any use from the mastering pack.

A combination of tools is best. I usually tend to use Nebula, a GSSL (though you may favor a more transparent comp), URS saturation, a C4, an L1 (transient control, but be careful I've taken too much punch away from masters with this in the past) and Ozone 4. Still not quite sold on which ITB EQ to use for general carving use with masters. So far I've used Sonnox, but I can't help but feel there are better options out there.

Interesting... How do you use the two clippers with one another?

I just find it easier to clip the loud stuff without harming the quieter stuff if I have one set to hard clip and one to soft clip, compared to just having one on.

I know Steven Slate thinks that 2 clippers doing a little is more transparent than 1 clipper doing alot, though I've not compared this to check. Plus I think he's using Gclip anyway which might react differently to T-racks.