Two new IK Multimedia T-RackS Compressors Available

Jind

Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)
Mar 7, 2009
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/Main.html?MainPage.php

IK Multimedia is proud to present the "Black 76" limiting amplifier and the "White 2A" leveling amplifier, two mixing legends now included as an add-on to T-RackS. These prestigious effects are available as single plug-ins for the most popular DAWs or can be integrated in the new T-RackS suite of mixing and mastering effects now updated with 64-bit compatibility both in standalone and plug-in mode.

Black 76 Limiting Amplifier
Modeled after what is probably the most used, most known, most wanted, and most universally recognized compressor / limiter in the audio industry.

This compressor can be used on literally everything: drums, drum sub-mixes, vocals, bass, guitars, piano, choirs, brass, strings, etc. It adds its sonic footprint to the sound that for many reasons simply makes music sound better. Vocals, for example, will gain presence, consistency, clarity and punch in a way simply not obtainable with other units. Drums will gain power and density with total control over the level of "snap", and guitars will get a magic midrange zone that makes them truly sing. The Black 76 is a must for mixing, but thanks to the perfectly stereo linked version we provide with MS option, it can also be effectively used for mastering if used with care!

White 2A Leveling Amplifier
Based on the most legendary vintage vacuum tube optical limiter.

Originally intended for use in broadcasting, it immediately became a truly signature unit for music recording and mixing. It's a must-have for both tracking and mixing vocals, but it's also tremendously effective on electric bass, upright bass, piano, winds and many other tracks where you need a gentle compression with great warmth and consistency. This is one of the few units in the audio industry that nobody will allow to be substituted for anything else.

Main Product Features
Both the Black 76 and the White 2A are available as single T-RackS mixing plug-ins for all popular DAW platforms in RTAS, AU and VST formats. They also give the flexibility to be perfectly integrated with the T-RackS suite of effects as they can be opened inside the T-RackS twelve slot serial-parallel processor chain, both in standalone and plug-in mode, taking advantage of T-RackS advanced routing, metering and preset capabilities. With the addition of these two new classics, T-RackS users will have a total of 12 superior dynamic and EQ effects to choose from including a full-fledged professional metering suite for all of their professional mixing and mastering needs.

Furthermore, T-RackS and all its effect processors have been updated to version 3.5 - now supporting all 64-bit DAWs - and the update is available a free download to all existing T-RackS Deluxe, Standard, shell and singles users.

Black76-header.jpg

White2A-header.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's hardly a good deal, but it's basically the same way with the custom shop. It's way cheaper to buy the bundles, but I guess it's nice to have the option if you really really just want one thing and not the others.

Ah yeah I just saw that. $99 a pop though damn.

I bought most of the singles during various sales, filled out the rest via "nultibox" selections involved with other group buys so I've paid much less than the $99 dollar asking price for each, but with these two new ones I may have to dive in at the asking price. I have some Jam Points banked that I can apply towards them if I decide to give them a go. Also $99 is really not that far off from what most "quality" VST plugins go for, and much less than others, and I must say that IK has done a great job on the other two most recent comps, the Fairchild 670 and Opto comp, so I have a feeling these are going to be pretty good as well.

We'll see if I end up buying them.

Shame he labelled the files. The "hardware is way better" type comments are flying in already. "The hardware sounds more open and with more live. The IK plug-in is missing some of the harmonic distortion of the hardware as a result" You rarely see the same certainty in the blind tests over there.

Ha, I just posted the same thing in that thread.

The hardware vs. software threads are SERIOUSLY tainted by user bias over there. When Steve initially put up clips of his VCC plug, he kept it blind and there was an even 50/50 split on peoples' preference between the hardware and software. There was also a UAD thread in which people almost unanimously liked the UAD until the O.P. labeled the files, at which point everyone started to favor the hardware. Hilarious.

same happened with the massive passive uad <-> hardware. uad has been the favourite of the majority in the blind test.

Having a listen to that 1176 shootout it's really obvious that there's a significant distorted character that comes with the hardware compressors that the plugs don't seem to replicate. The plugs also seem a bit more controlled whereas the hardware seems to pump a bit more.

That can be seen as a good or bad thing though, as the pumping and distortion seem to add some excitement to the sound. Whereas the plugs seem to work better for transparent volume control.

Might check out that plugin 1176 comparison later. I've only just got into the world of hardware compressors myself with the purchase of a few DBX 163's, REALLY liking them so far. This is going to be an expensive habit I think :(