Mastering: silence in the beginning and end of tracks

KillFrenzy

Nov 21, 2007
Hey guys, maybe this is of no importance at all, but I'd like to know if you have any "personal stardard" for that. I don't mean the 2s between tracks. I'm asking about the silences WITHIN wave files.
I noticed that there's no pattern at all in some mainstream productions. In the same CD I found tracks with 300, 400, 600ms. Is there any point on leaving so much silence? Something mp3-related? Personally I don't see why it should be 'cause there are lots of CDs with no silence between tracks, but I'd like to know what you guys do.

Cheers

If it's a studio CD - I'll leave a short gap (less than 1 second).

If it's a live CD then it'll have cross fades.

The reason you want some silence is because some players, hardware and software, will skip the first 100ms or so. I always do about 300 ms at the beginning of each track.

i usually go for 20 ms. don´t feel the need to wait for half a second before the song starts. most players that can handle the "quick" beginning are really old.
there are also professional cds out there that don´t leave any silence in the beginning and between the tracks (soad -hypnotize/mesmerize for example).