Mastering Studios / Doubt - HELP!

I used Cutting Room on numerous projects and it always turned out great. Engineers were Mats Lindfors and Tomas Eberger. Very clean, transparent, balanced sound, ideal for metal productions.
I plan to use Trillium Sound which looks really great on a few upcoming projects, cheap but great gear, great guy.
I heard Peter In De Betou is very good too.

The mastering process won't fix individual instruments, but here's what a mastering engineer can do when it is possible :
- tighten up the lower part of the spectrum : boosting, cutting, compression the right frequencies to make the instruments sit better in the low mids, basses and sub basses.
- boosting some "musical" frequencies : this occurs in the higher part of the spectrum (high mids, highs). Slight boosts here and here with a good EQ or another processing can make the music more alive/agressive depending on what you want.
There's generally a lot of compression, EQ, stereo widening going on, to get the perfect balance he can get with the mix he has in his hands.

ue @ sterling is no longer on the afterhours list. i believe he is now a senior engineer there.

alan d. is probably the best bang for your buck. he is extremely busy but if you live anywhere around i highly recommend an attended session it is a great experience and he is a cool dude. on a budget alan is the way to go.

also don't forget james murphy either.

The mastering process won't fix individual instruments, but here's what a mastering engineer can do when it is possible :
- tighten up the lower part of the spectrum : boosting, cutting, compression the right frequencies to make the instruments sit better in the low mids, basses and sub basses.
- boosting some "musical" frequencies : this occurs in the higher part of the spectrum (high mids, highs). Slight boosts here and here with a good EQ or another processing can make the music more alive/agressive depending on what you want.
There's generally a lot of compression, EQ, stereo widening going on, to get the perfect balance he can get with the mix he has in his hands.

Very good input Sly, thanks a lot for all this details

Let me buy u :kickass:
cheers

ue @ sterling is no longer on the afterhours list. i believe he is now a senior engineer there.

alan d. is probably the best bang for your buck. he is extremely busy but if you live anywhere around i highly recommend an attended session it is a great experience and he is a cool dude. on a budget alan is the way to go.

also don't forget james murphy either.

Yeah Alan D. seems to be a good option too, he worked with The Black Dahlia Murder on Miasma, and I really like the dynamics on that particular album.

Cant attend the session :( ...I live too far away

James rocks too :)

Thanks a lot to Brett - K A L I S I A and ArtGarceau... as soon as we have something ready I'll post it right here :)

Great. I've got quite a few sessions over the next few months, and won't be reading the forums as often as I'd like. Feel free to send a PM when you post so I get an e-mail notification.

5 - THE MASTERING ROOM AB: Goran Finnberg - Disarminia Mundi - In Flames, Soilwork, The Haunted, Dark Tranquility (I did not find their website btw).

Hi EdSOE, my band is also looking for a mastering studio. I was wondering how did you contacted The Mastering Room AB? We really like their discography and we're really interested but can't seem to find any info. about them. Do you have at least their email? It'd be great if you could share that info. It's a bit weird that there's no website or anything about Göran Finnberg but yet I see his credits in recent albums.

Thanks in advance.

Hi EdSOE, my band is also looking for a mastering studio. I was wondering how did you contacted The Mastering Room AB? We really like their discography and we're really interested but can't seem to find any info. about them. Do you have at least their email? It'd be great if you could share that info. It's a bit weird that there's no website or anything about Göran Finnberg but yet I see his credits in recent albums.

Thanks in advance.

Oroz, contact me in pvt, I'll give you Goran's email :)