Matt Barlow's new band

0bsolum

Apr 17, 2005
ASHES OF ARES

So, this got me thinking... Back in 2003 or thereabouts, Matt says he's leaving Iced Earth to pursue a career in law enforcement, right?

Then, in 2007 or so Pyramaze asks him if he wants to sing on their new album, and he says yes. Jon hears that Matt is back into the music business and asks him if he wants to rejoin Iced Earth. Matt says yes, leaves Pyramaze and rejoins Iced Earth.

Then after recording 1 album with Iced Earth and some touring, he again says he's leaving the band because he can't commit to the touring schedule the band needs to move forward.

Then, less than 2 years later, he forms a new band with Van Williams and Freddie Vidales, and they start booking shows...

I'm starting to think that Matt can't leave the music business, but he just hates working with Jon Schaffer, lol :heh:

In any case, Ashes of Ares are playing here in November and I've already got tickets. Curious to see what they come up with, their (crappy) website isn't revealing much. I have to say, though, I'm skeptical of any metal band that consists of only 1 singer, 1 guitar player and 1 bass player. But I'll just wait and see what they come up with...

Iced Earth's already had to replace their bassist and drummer lol. I don't know whether it's the massive shitstorm of touring or maybe Schaffer's an asshole behind closed doors... I'm confident they will never release any consecutive albums with the same lineup... Ah well. :lol:

I did enjoy "Dead Man's Plight," but I wish the guitars were brought more forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think Jon is a difficult man to work with, to say the least :)

Where'd you find that song? You'd think they would put that stuff up on their website. It's not bad but nothing great, either. If it was anyone else on vocals I wouldn't care for it. I'll probably still buy their album, though.

Check out their Facebook page, there should be a video link if you scroll down just a wee bit. Freddie's studio reports are back too. :D