Mbox 2 Pro Factory (Upgrade)

iraobryan

Jul 7, 2009
I'm having trouble figuring out the right course of action. I have an Mbox 2 Pro and need to record a full drum kit for an indie release. I have a 1/2" 8 track that I was planning on tracking drums to, then submixing (gate/comp/eq done before combining tracks) leaving the toms and overheads together and snare and kick separate, and dumping into PT through the Mbox. Of course the other instruments and vocals would be overdubbed. I won't be using the preamps on the Mbox.

Will (could) the above net good results? I am a bit worried about the A/D and D/A conversion of the Mbox 2 Pro. When I do mixes now it is hard to hear separation and effects of adjustments. Do I need to upgrade my interface or converters? Can anyone give suggestions?

Do you run your monitors/headphones out of the 2626, or do you use something like a Apogee DAC? I know I've heard mixes on here from guys using the 2626 that sound great, i just didn't know if they were using external converters or if the Profire is just that much better than the Mbox 2 Pro. (I do realize skill plays a large part) The cost for the 2626 is the same as an upgrade from Sweewater to 003R and PT8...which way would you go?

Thanks for the response and the link! You've helped me yet again

I don't use a 2626, I use an Onyx 400F :) But yeah, the DAC is total fucking self indulgence IMO; all it affects is the quality of sound coming to your monitors (it has nothing to do with what's recorded), and while that is of course important, the DA converters in the Profire are more than good enough that IMO you shouldn't think about something like the DAC until you have the best monitors you'd ever want, the best mics you'd ever want, the best preamps you'd ever want - I think you see where I'm going with this :D And I'd definitely go for a Profire over the 003R for the 4 extra preamps and actual usefulness outside of PT! (no the 003 isn't useless, but IME digidesign drivers for non-PT apps are pretty fucking shaky)

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks again for the help! I'll be looking to get the Profire soon. Will it work with Reaper if I decide to try it?

Well...forgive the noob question. I've only dealt with PT LE/HD and Digidesign interfaces...I got tunnel vision and forgot that some companies make gear that plays nice with other companies gear.

Hows your room treatment and your monitoring? To me this would have much more of an effect on your ability to hear separation and effects of adjustments than A/D conversion would.

Really as long as a good sounding CD still sounds like a good sounding CD when run through the line in's of your interface then your converters are fine imo.

Personally I'd try and get an interface with at least 8 or more inputs for doing drums. Gonna make life waaayyyyy easier.