Meaning of Elohim Meth?

SoSorry(ForYou)

New Metal Member
May 19, 2003
Visit site
Hello catatonic friends.

I had a sudden urge to hear "without god" (happens to the best of us right) and I hadn't heard this one in a while... and it aroused an old and forgotten curiousity. What does Elohim Meth mean? I didn't have this forum to write on when I first was curious, but now i do... YES!

Hopefully there will be one special man who can help me? is it you?

thanks all.

who else likes that song?

"your fucking god is dead, and shall forever be"

Jhva Elohim Meth = "God Is Dead"
Elohim Meth makes no sense. According to some interview, they thought it would be clever to remove the Jhva part, thinking that would leave the "Is Dead" part for an epilogue to "Without God", but apparently "Elohim Meth" alone makes no sense.

Well, I studied Hebrew for a couple of years. If I remember correctly, JHVH (not JHVA -- the A seems to just make it easier to pronounce) is the actual name of god, the origin of the names Jehova and Yahweh. Elohim means "my god". The "im" endings is what makes it first person singular possessive. (Elohenu means "our god".) So saying Elohim Meth actually does make perfect sense: "My god is dead". Jehova Elohim Meth literally means, "Jehova, my god, is dead".

Language Geek! Sorry! hahahaa!

Reflexion

Reflexion said:
Elohim means "my god". The "im" endings is what makes it first person singular possessive. (Elohenu means "our god".) So saying Elohim Meth actually does make perfect sense: "My god is dead". Jehova Elohim Meth literally means, "Jehova, my god, is dead".

Reflexion

Actually, "Elohim" means just "God".
Elohay = "My God"
Elohenu = "Our God"

Trust me, hebrew is my native language :)

Well, what I said above was what I'd read in some interview. I don't know a word of hebrew, well, maybe now I know two. Heh.

ANYWAY! If "Elohim Meth" means "god is dead" then what would "Jhva Elohim Meth" be? "The god Jehovah is dead?"

I must point out, being a linguist myself, ;) that languages are not set in stone and the meanings can vary between locations within a country and certainly on a worldwide basis. In translation languages also lose their concrete meaning and translations are meerly an approximation and not a definitive understanding. A good example of this is The title of a Jean Paul Satre novel which was originally translated as "Iron in the soul," but could also mean "Death In the Soul."

To cut a long story short, the approximate meaning of the phrase would appear to be "god is dead", any statement which conveys this meaning, such as "My god is dead" is close enough and is losing or gaining meaning purely through interpolated interpretation which is what poetry relies upon to integrate a meaning into an otherwise meaningless string of words. The reader defines the meaning as much as the writer hence there is no exact meaning but there is a universal reading to be found in the phrase "Jhva Elohim Meth."

Phew... ;)

Well said, Hopkins W.G.!
The reader does define the meaning, as much as the writer. I think this is especially true for dead languages, such as Ancient Egyptian, where no vowels are written, and alternate translations are almost always possible. What is your linguistic specialty, HWG?
And Soulreaper, thanks for correcting my translation of "Elohim". Now that I am remembering the nuances of Hebrew, isn't the curious thing about "Elohim" that the "im" ending, would on most nouns, form the plural?
But not on Elohim.