meat

MadeInNewJersey said:
Are you sure? I'm near-certain that in order to be called free range there are certain specs that must be met about how the livestock was kept, i.e. literally FREE range to roam, etc.

it means the hens aren't caged basically (which is pretty sick)
they can roam but they can get pretty cramped, thouands in a barn or whatever
organic eggs cost twice as much because they need to be fed properly too

MadeInNewJersey said:
Are you sure? I'm near-certain that in order to be called free range there are certain specs that must be met about how the livestock was kept, i.e. literally FREE range to roam, etc.

I'm 100% positive, at least with Chickens. And for instance, my uncles farm isn't "Free range" but the cows wander around all day, even go into the woods and stuff, have acres and acres to go around on. It goes both ways. But yea, im 100% positive about the chicken thing.

KILL TULLY said:
I'm 100% positive, at least with Chickens. And for instance, my uncles farm isn't "Free range" but the cows wander around all day, even go into the woods and stuff, have acres and acres to go around on. It goes both ways. But yea, im 100% positive about the chicken thing.

yeah, you are probably right then.

I was mostly thinking of veal, and even then, I'm still not sure. Never really looked into it.

yea tully makes a good point about stupid urban liberal idiots buying everything peta feeds them...everybody has an agenda, peta's no exception

cthulufhtagn said:
if you can't know how they do it and be ok with still eating meat, you shouldn't eat meat imo

don't mean to be harsh but man the meat industry is brutal:lol:

I agree that it's barbaric (PETA can still go fuck themselves), but I'm too much of a carnivore to ever give it up, it's as utterly essential to my being as music.

neal said:
call me naive, but i highly doubt swinging a pig by the legs headfirst into the concrete floor is the standard practice.
It is common practice, unless you're one of the few who prefer the pricier high quality organic alternative to the cheap hormone and antibiotic stricken meat they sell in the supermarket. As long as people care more about the price than about the quality of their food, animals will be treated like crap. I worked on various farms myself, so I've seen it with my own eyes.
Also in conventional farming, piglets are castrated without anaesthetization, and they're fully conscious when their tails and teeth are cut as well. Hear them cry, spend a day in the darkness and stink of the barn among thousands of sad-looking pigs, deprived of any possibility to socialize naturally, and I doubt you'll enjoy your next breakfast.

But yeah, most people prefer to look away, because ignoring unpleasant facts is always easier than facing and dealing with them.

Demonspell said:
PETA can still go fuck themselves
Agreed. Far too extreme.

snow2fall said:
It is common practice, unless you're one of the few who prefer the pricier high quality organic alternative to the cheap hormone and antibiotic stricken meat they sell in the supermarket. As long as people care more about the price than about the quality of their food, animals will be treated like crap. I worked on various farms myself, so I've seen it with my own eyes.
Also in conventional farming, piglets are castrated without anaesthetization, and they're fully conscious when their tails and teeth are cut as well. Hear them cry, spend a day in the darkness and stink of the barn among thousands of sad-looking pigs, deprived of any possibility to socialize naturally, and I doubt you'll enjoy your next breakfast.

But yeah, most people prefer to look away, because ignoring unpleasant facts is always easier than facing and dealing with them.

I don't necessarily ignore the unpleasant facts, I just don't fucking care about them. :heh: