Megadeth - Dystopia

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
I thought this record should have a thread of its own.

I've listened to this record a bunch of times now and I have to say it's bloody good. I was really keen to hear what Chris Adler brought to the table and he's not only a great drummer but he also seems to have influenced Mustaine to find some of that snarl that was sorely missing on the last 2 records. I reckon this is definitely the best record since Endgame, which I really rate highly.

My fave tracks are The Threat is Real, Dystopia, Fatal Illusion, Poisonous Shadows, and The Emperor.

Really loving this record. Not as much as For All Kings (I'm too Anthrax biased!!!) but it's seriously not too far behind it. Great stuff.

What's other people's opinions on this one if you've heard it??

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
Heard it about 5-6 times and has grown on me even more. Favorite songs are The Threat is Real, Dystopia, Fatal Illusion, and Lying in State. This week and last week have been listening to the entire back catalog, remembering how much I love the early albums and even the later ones like Cryptic Writings. Since the comeback in 2004 my favorites have been The System Has Failed and Endgame.

Reactions: timmyc
I have to say 'Dystopia' is excellent, it really surpassed my expectations following 'Super Collider' - even though that has a lot of good stuff on it. 'Dystopia' is in a different league, it's filled with great songs.

I ordered the Japanese Edition, the bonus track 'Me Hate You' is one of my favourites, while the only two songs I don't care for as much as the others are the two western deluxe edition tracks, 'Last Dying Wish' and 'Look Who's Talking'. 'Look Who's Talking' is almost an own-goal, terrible lyrics and the song has little to no connection with the album proper. The Japanese version is all killer, 11 originals and the Fear cover!

Their catalogue is pretty amazing really; the first 6 albums are all stellar. Everything up to the wonderful 'Youthanasia'. 'Cryptic Writings' is half okay but half great, it does have some killer tunes. The comeback since 2004 has been a triumph. 'United Abominations' and 'Endgame' are absolutely brilliant, and 'Endgame' is being being referenced in so many reviews for the new one as a touchstone of their career. "Best since Endgame..." etc, really putting Endgame on that pedestal.

The run of UA, Endgame and 13 is full of so many great tunes, and now 'Dystopia' - the comeback and last 6 albums are a second essential period in the band's history. In the time Metallica released St. Anger and Megadeth returned with The System Has Failed, we've had 'Death Magnetic' from 'Tallica, and FIVE quality releases from 'Deth; quite amazing.

Dystopia is a winner, I probably would give FAK the edge, slightly, I am biased but love Megadeth almost as much as Anthrax. FAK by a whisker, but Dystopia is essential for metal fans also.

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
I've also listened to Dystopia 5-6 times now. I have to say it's the best record they have done in quite a while. I was blown away at what I was hearing. After the disappointment of Super Collider I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I have the Best Buy Version with the two bonus tracks. I'm not sure I can pick a favorite because they are all so good, no filler here. The Japanese bonus track "Me Hate You" is excellent. And the other bonus track that is on the Spotify version of Dystopia, "Melt The Ice Away" is excellent as well. My only problem is that the different bonus tracks are scattered amongst different releases of Dystopia. I think there should only be ONE version with ALL the tracks. Let's just get rid of deluxe editions and just have one edition for all.

Listening to it now on Spotify.

So far so good (no pun)... actually it does remind me of that album in parts already. A good sign!

I've kind of lost interest in Megadeth. And Dystopia hasn't changed that. I've heard it, and musically it's great. Lyrically, it seems, in part, like a display of conservative politics crammed into metal songs, and that effectively prevents me from really enjoying this release.

S
I've kind of lost interest in Megadeth. And Dystopia hasn't changed that. I've heard it, and musically it's great. Lyrically, it seems, in part, like a display of conservative politics crammed into metal songs, and that effectively prevents me from really enjoying this release.
No 3 on billboard,hopefully anthrax can do just as well

'Hidden Treasures' is indeed a great one; meanwhile, still spinning Dystopia almost every bloody day - it's excellent! AS I mentioned earlier, the last decade has really been artistically successful when you look at it now - United Abominations, Endgame, Dystopia, 13 - all top quality albums.

I wonder will Metallica ever release an album, it seems like they have forgotten how to actually compose songs - I listed to 'Beyond Magnetic' again last night and what an utter confusing mess it is. Disjointed riffs with very poor transitions, Ihonestly do think they really have to work hard at composing and the last 2 and 1/2 albums are series' of riffs, sometimes poorly joined up. 'Death Magnetic' had some very good tracks, but also some awfully poor/uninspired with the same problems, disjointed riffage and James' odd way of singing. Very disappointing for fans who loved them in the 80s and even into the 90s.

Yeah I've been spinning Dystopia heaps too (along with FAK!!).

It's fantastic.

'Super Collider' I always liked even though it was completely trashed on release by seemingly everyone. It will always be special as my daughter was born just 2 months later on same day as Mustaine; and I met Megadeth for the first time on the day of the album release at a record signing in Glasgow! It was an amazing, thrilling day.

Collider has 3 tracks that are seriously under par, but it also has some genuine gems; 'Blackest Crow', 'Dance in the Rain', 'Kingmaker', 'Forget to Remember'.

After reading all the positive comments I need to go back and give it another listen, played it a couple of times on Spotify to see whether it was worth parting with cash for. Nothing stood out and grabbed me, didn't find anything memorable there at all. Maybe I will find it a grower, we'll see.

Listened to Dystopia a few times on Spotify and I like it.

Some very clear tunes and riffs from So Far, So Good and Peace Sells on it.

Very positive! Looking forward to getting into it more.