Megadeth in NYC - Nov 10th

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
This is old news, but I just went to their website. Anyway, band line up as follows:

Mustaine & Menza
James MacDonough - Bass (Iced Earth)
Glenn Drover - Guitar (King Diamond / Eidolon)

Makes sense with Drover considering Eidolon have some serious 'Deth worship going on, especially in Coma Nation.

NYC - November 10th. One date and it's on a fucking Wednesday night! :yell: Not sure who's supporting.

If I'm in town then it's a no brainer, otherwise Philly is Friday night, and Boston is Saturday. Geez, I'm getting too old for this shit. :loco:

Cool, they'll be in Anaheim on the 25th, I'll probably go.

I listened to the System Has Failed about 40 times over the last few days, it is easily one of Megadeth's finest albums, BUT... it is terribly lacking from Ellefson- and Menza-style playing that it doesn't have that fully distinct 'deth sound. The riffs and solos are great, and for the first time Dave's vocals are stupendous (Of Mice and Men is probably my favorite track). Blah blah blah, I love the album. Possible 9/10 now. :)

EDIT: vague memories of JayKeeley and I stumbling about NYC discussing Dave's passionate vocals on Holy Wars. :D

One Inch Man said:
I listened to the System Has Failed about 40 times over the last few days, it is easily one of Megadeth's finest albums, BUT... it is terribly lacking from Ellefson- and Menza-style playing that it doesn't have that fully distinct 'deth sound.
Hmm, you probably have a better ear for this than me, but when I hear tracks like "Blackmail" and "Kick the Chair", I'm reminded of a "Polaris" or "Take no Prisoners" style where the drumming pattern follows suit with the riffing a la Menza. Re: the basswork, I honestly couldn't tell ya, but it seems to do it's job.

So out of interest, what do you think Ellefson would have brought to the table that you don't hear on the new one? Also, what about those scathing lyrics about Ellefson on "Something that I'm not"!?

The riffs and solos are great, and for the first time Dave's vocals are stupendous (Of Mice and Men is probably my favorite track). Blah blah blah, I love the album. Possible 9/10 now. :)
Some of the best guitar work from Mustaine in a long, long while. You almost expect it from Poland, but I'm really impressed with Mustaine. It's good to hear the love/hate playing styles that he once had with Friedman.

EDIT: vague memories of JayKeeley and I stumbling about NYC discussing Dave's passionate vocals on Holy Wars. :D
I also remember talking about the fact that I had never for once even considered him to be a weak vocalist until I heard people mention it on the forums. Never once occurred to me...especially considering we live in a world where people burp and gurgle into the mic.

P.S. Glad to have you back!

i'd like to see this show as i have never seen Megadeth, but Slayer is the next evening and I cannot possibly make 2 shows in a row. Or can I?

Megadeth put on an excellent show last time they went out. Dave as in fine form.

I really am liking the new album more and more. The problems I have are some of the choruses are just pathetic- power metal like even.

Megadeth put on an excellent show last time they went out. Dave was in fine form.

I really am liking the new album more and more. The problems I have are some of the choruses are just pathetic- power metal like even. ANd megadeth never has really been all that heavy- i actually quite enjoy the work of the new drummer and bassist, much more so than any deth combo since samuelson and ellefson.

lurch70 said:
i'd like to see this show as i have never seen Megadeth, but Slayer is the next evening and I cannot possibly make 2 shows in a row. Or can I?
If I had to choose, I would go for Megadeth. This is their last tour, and Slayer will always have bands like Slipknot and Hatebreed to support.

lurch70 said:
If I had to choose, I would go for Megadeth. This is their last tour, and Slayer will always have bands like Slipknot and Hatebreed to support.

Whoa, broken record in here. :loco:

The rhythm section for the new one is good, but Ellefson being my favorite metal bassist (yes, more than Cliff Burton omg) I'm still pissed they had a falling out. He had that real distinct CLANG tone (I actually ripped off his pick-style for a few years there, heehee), and he also fills in a lot of gaps like on Symphony of Destruction. Very solid and effective bassist, he's like the Cliff Williams of metal, but actually can play some intricate stuff. So Something I'm Not is about him? Need to read those carefully it seems...

One Inch Man said:
So Something I'm Not is about him? Need to read those carefully it seems...
Yeah, the latest Terrorizer is glorifying the release with a huge 'Deth article and interview with Mustaine. He gives a song-by-song analysis and talks about 'a guy he used to play with who is somebody he'd rather not talk about anymore due to all the double-crossing', etc. It's gotta be Ellefson, right?

And believe it or not, "The Scorpion" is not about heroin:

"As I climb on to your back,
I will promise not to sting,
I will tell you what you want to hear and not mean anything,
I will treat you like a dog as I shoot my venom in,
You'll pretend you didn't know that I am the scorpion"

Somehow that is not about his old drug habits. :confused: It's about Aesop's Fable or something...oh well.

Interestingly, Terrorizer also did "The Best Megadeth Album Ever" through their own staff compilation:

1 - Holy Wars
2 - In My Darkest Hour
3 - Hangar 18
4 - Tornado of souls
5 - Peace Sells
6 - Devil's Island
7 - Symphony of Destruction
8 - Hook in Mouth
9 - Wake up Dead
10 - Set the world afire

Here's my best Megadeth album ever:

1 - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
2 - Hangar 18
3 - Take No Prisoners
4 - Five Magics
5 - Poison Was The Cure
6 - Lucretia
7 - Tornado Of Souls
8 - Dawn Patrol
9 - Rust In Peace... Polaris

:kickass:

Jay: I think the lyrics for "Something that I'm not" where written about Lars Ulrich after their meeting that was filmed for Some kind of monster.

Tranquillian said:
Jay: I think the lyrics for "Something that I'm not" where written about Lars Ulrich after their meeting that was filmed for Some kind of monster.
Ah ok, I haven't actually seen that film, but I hear Lars sunk to an all time low. Thing is, there was such a falling out between Ellefson and Mustaine as well recently (I think Ellefson is taking it to the courts) that I thought the song could be about 'Junior'. But no, you're probably right, thanks.

FUUUUUUCK !!!!

EXODUS is confirmed as opener on the whole Megadeth tour (along with Earshot)
Now I know this is going to be a killer show.

Can I make this on the 10th and then Slayer/Mastodon the next night (already have tickets for this) .... shit. I really want to see this show now. The new record is really growing on me and have never seen Mustaine and co. live

lurch70 said:
FUUUUUUCK !!!!

EXODUS is confirmed as opener on the whole Megadeth tour (along with Earshot)
Now I know this is going to be a killer show.
SOLD x 99 (ways to die)!! :loco:

Who else is going? Dark One? Zod? Demonspell?

Glad that Megadeth are doing this right by bringing out the non-trendy bands like Slayer do.

seeing Megadeth, Exodus and Slayer ... all within 24 hours ... what is this 1986? :)