Megadeth - Rust In Peace [Blu-ray/DVD/CD]

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Has anyone here picked up the new Megadeth live blu-ray/dvd/cd? I've been hearing lots of mixed reviews and want to know if it's worth dropping $20-$30 on. I'm a huge Megadeth fan (especially the Friedman/Menza era), but their live performances haven't been what they used to be in the past (obviously due to them getting older and line-up changes). I'm also hearing rumors that Dave's live vocals have been overdubbed and sometimes don't even match-up to what's showing on screen. I've heard the sound quality is better on Blu-ray rather than the DVD, but overall, compared to their other live performances, I'm interested to see what other 'Deth fans have to say about it.

I dont have the DVD but I can tell you from someone who's been editing videos / films for 20+ years that just cause the audio doesn't sync up with the video on the screen does not mean its dubbed. Its just a poor editing job.

I saw Megadeth live lo more then 6 months ago and they were absolutely amazing.

As for the "line up" changes. I am a HUGE Megadeth fan and I can tell you seeing them in 91, 95, 98, 2000, 2006, and 2010 there is no comparison. The current line up by far crushes anything I have seen in the past from them. Broderick is much more enjoyable to watch on stage and plays Marty just like Marty but with the intensity and agression of Becker rolled into one. He is BY FAR the best guitarist that's ever been in Megadeth.

Drover plays Menza's parts exactly like they are on the CD. The man is just a machine. So to anyone that says Megadeth sucks live ... I dare you to find me a better live band out there.

Thanks for the input. I agree about your overdub statement. I wasn't accusing it to be, but I've heard from lots of reviewers saying it's overdubbed. Granted, that may all be rumor or speculation, but that's just what I heard. Some people were also complaining about not being able to hear Broderick in the mix until a solo happens, and even then it's not very loud. Again, they may just be retarded and trying to run 5.1 through their stereo setup and it's getting lost in the mix that way, but I just wanted to check.

I personally think that Broderick has been the best guitarist so far that's been able to pull off a similar flare of Marty's style... but I would still much prefer Marty over Chris any day. While Chris does a good job pulling off some of the Marty'esk licks, to me, he still just looks robotic up there and not playing with much feeling. I saw the Marty/Menza lineup live probably about 3 times before they disbanded, and each time I was just in fucking aw with how passionate Marty played. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, and I don't want to make this a Marty vs. Chris thread, but that's just the way I feel considering Marty was the reason I even started playing guitar and getting into music. So I am heavily biased. I own two copies of each of his solo albums (3 of 'Scenes') ... so it's hard for me to even think of someone playing exactly like Marty with the same passion and tenacity that he does. But I will end on this note... Broderick is definitely my 2nd favorite guitarist after Marty (obviously). The man does pull off Marty's parts amazingly well and with the utmost respect.

Ya I say fuck the reviewers, even if its not "Th3 b3STEST DVD EVAR" you are supporting your favorite band buy getting it! That to me is enough to cover the $20 - $30 cost of the DVD. Its why I bought Nevermores - Year Of The Voyager even though the production was sub par and I saw them 4 times on that tour ...lol. Its all about supporting the music you love and helping the bands continue to make music!

Ya I say fuck the reviewers, even if its not "Th3 b3STEST DVD EVAR" you are supporting your favorite band buy getting it! That to me is enough to cover the $20 - $30 cost of the DVD. Its why I bought Nevermores - Year Of The Voyager even though the production was sub par and I saw them 4 times on that tour ...lol. Its all about supporting the music you love and helping the bands continue to make music!

:lol: For reals. But I also don't want to just buy something just because it's my favorite band. I actually want something decent. So I was just wondering if anyone else on here had purchased it could clear up confusion surrounding the vocals and the overall mix. I have live Megadeth albums and dvds already, and I just want to know, as a consumer, if this is even worth it. I'll probably still pick it up and this thread will be a moot point, but again I just wanted to check first. I was really disappointed with their Buenos Aires dvd, and I dont want to be let down like that release.

Since I've dropped his name so much here, and it seems most droogies respect him, I want to share a link to a track from his new album 'Bad D.N.A.'
It's very slow to start off, but then it gets very meaty and crunchy around the 2 minute mark. I never knew Marty could riff that heavy. lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAEGOEhOocc&feature=related[/ame]

I personally think that Broderick has been the best guitarist so far that's been able to pull off a similar flare of Marty's style... but I would still much prefer Marty over Chris any day. While Chris does a good job pulling off some of the Marty'esk licks, to me, he still just looks robotic up there and not playing with much feeling. I saw the Marty/Menza lineup live probably about 3 times before they disbanded, and each time I was just in fucking aw with how passionate Marty played. Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, and I don't want to make this a Marty vs. Chris thread, but that's just the way I feel considering Marty was the reason I even started playing guitar and getting into music. So I am heavily biased. I own two copies of each of his solo albums (3 of 'Scenes') ... so it's hard for me to even think of someone playing exactly like Marty with the same passion and tenacity that he does. But I will end on this note... Broderick is definitely my 2nd favorite guitarist after Marty (obviously). The man does pull off Marty's parts amazingly well and with the utmost respect.

Of course, no one touches Marty when it comes to Megadeth. With Nick Menza, they formed the most glorious Megadeth line-up, pushing this band to a legendary status. We will never have that back, but I like the current Megadeth line-up alot.
At least Broderick can actually play Marty's solos, wich is not the case with Glen Drover:lol:

Bad DNA is such a horrible song. We had an entire thread dedicated to its Jpop charm a few weeks ago. Just shit totally in my opinion. I haven't heard the rest of the CD so I am not writing it off yet, just this songs blows dogs. The chorus sounds like the theme song from 90210 ...lol

I am sure this really appeals to the "anime" crowd.

The song above is cool though.

I agree a lot of his Jpop stuff isn't that appealing, but I pretty much skip the main parts of those songs and go right to the solos. lol

...why? :lol: (multiple copies I mean)

One is autographed and is a special import from Japan that I NEVER play. Another has been abused the fuck out of and is virtually unreadable because I listened to it SO much as a teenager. The other is a new copy I snagged to replace the damage one to listen to, as well as rip to my computer so I can have a digital copy to listen to so I don't wear this one out. lol. The same goes for Megadeth's 'Youthanasia' album. (Except I have 4 copies of 'Youthanasia' if you count the "remaster" :lol:)

I own two of all of his other albums because I generally can't wait for the US release, so I end-up pre-ordering a copy from Japan, and then also buy the US release once it comes out so I can read what the hell it says in English instead of Jap. haha

Dude your in AZ just walk over to Daves house and suck his cock why dont ya .... :p

:lol: rofl!

Like I said, Megadeth is one of my favorite bands and I have WAY too much Deth paraphernalia, I admit that! But I definitely am a Marty fanboy, not Dave. I only own one copy of each of the non-Marty/Menza era Megadeth albums. I don't know what it is about Friedman, but he is the sole reason why I even like Megadeth. Yes I know I'm obsessed. ;)

PS - Dave doesn't have a house here anymore. He moved to CA quite a while ago. I'm sure any property he had here in AZ was sold or lost in the divorce or legal battles or something.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/08/24/what-happened-to-dave-mustaines-voice/

and i'm pretty sure there was a post that Andy said he had been over to his studio to over dub vocals for a dvd?

Umm .. 1st off Metal Sucks is like the national Enquirer of the Metal World. 2nd, you are talking a professionally Mixed and Mastered live sound track vs a board recording.

Im willing to bet that:
1. Guitars & Bass were re-amped for the DVD for the big 5.1 BluRay to get optimum fidelity

2. Drums were sound replaced or at the minimum mixed with samples for the big 5.1 BluRay to get optimum fidelity

3. Vocals were compressed properly and EQ'd to fit the mix for the big 5.1 BluRay to get optimum fidelity

The Big 4 recording they are comparing it to is a Stereo board recording it was done LIVE and there was no post production. I am willing to bet that if the Big 4 DVD ever sees the light of day it will be post produced like a mother fucker.

None of that means is was not played Live or Dave didn't sing it LIVE.

/THREAD

OK, so I picked it up, and it's quite obvious in certain spots that the vocals are overdubbed. But it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. This has got to be the second best Megadeth recorded show I've seen (aside from the Warchest DVD which is still #1 for me)! Broderick does an amazing job with Marty's solos, and it's so refreshing to see and HEAR Jr. in the mix... his bass is so beastly. :headbang: