circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Megadeth – United Abominations
Roadrunner Records – 1686-180292 – May 15, 2007
By Jason Jordan

megadethua.jpg

It appears the fire is back. In more words, United Abominations is Megadeth’s best since 1994’s Youthanasia, as consensus has declared, easily trumping the underwhelming Cryptic Writings (1997), Risk (1998), The World Needs a Hero (2001), and The System Has Failed (2004). While Mustaine and co. have returned with what most would call a good record, however, it doesn’t mean that UA is impervious to reasonable criticism. In fact, the group’s Roadrunner debut is satisfying, but still leaves the listener reminiscing about the long-gone glory days of Megadeth.

Skeptics were probably expecting United Abominations to sound like Mustaine and other guys, but newcomers Glen Drover (guitars, BGVs), Shawn Drover (drums, BGVs), and James Lomenzo (bass, BGVs) mesh so well that UA does indeed sound like a genuine Megadeth record. It’s not like Mustaine steals the show, either, as G. Drover contributes half of the leads, which are usually more memorable than not. And make no mistake – there’s a lot to like here. Opener ‘Sleepwalker’ and follower ‘Washington Is Next!’ are incredibly strong, and by the record’s end, are also the obvious choices for the finest of the lot. Despite its hokey lyrics, the title track is of high quality, too.

Others such as ‘Never Walk Alone…A Call to Arms,’ ‘Blessed Are the Dead,’ ‘Play for Blood,’ ‘Amerikastan,’ ‘You’re Dead,’ and ‘Burnt Ice’ each miss the mark by varying degrees, but, at the same time, are mildly enjoyable. Thankfully, Megadeth succeeded in one sense because there’s not a clunker among the bunch. Nonetheless, the videogame-inspired ‘Gears of War’ and needless re-recording of ‘A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free)’ featuring Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) would be better suited to a collection of asides – see Hidden Treasures (1995) – even if the politically-minded ‘Gears of War’ fits in topically.

Whether Megadeth will ever offer another album that reaches the level of their finest achievements – which is unrealistic, improbable, and maybe even impossible – United Abominations is good and relevant. If the trend continues, the band’s next one will be better, which is definitely an assuring thought.

Official Megadeth Website
Official Roadrunner Records Website

I thought this was a very enjoyable album and a step in the right direction. The quality of leads is top notch throughout and even Mustaine's vocals...always an acquired taste...sound better than usual. I agree the first two tracks are best, though the soloing on "Burnt Ice" was awesome.

The big stumbling block for me were these stupid political monologues that kill the momentum of every track they are in. If you can't fit it into the lyrics of the song, then let it go, don't squeeze it in like some half-baked politician on the stump!

Sleepwalker and Burnt Ice are damn good songs; the rest are forgettable. I was also very disappointed by the extremely weak lyrics. Its like Fox news lyrics written by a 10 year old, and then contradicted. Dave has never been the greatest lyricist, but many of the lyrics on this album--including the non-political ones--are just cringe-inducing. And I was rather underwhelmed by the Drover's. By far his weakest supporting group yet.

I dont really think I will play this album again besides the two songs I mentioned.

The System Has Failed is a great album, and United Abominations, while more thrashy, is not as complex. Besides better lyrics, TSHF had better riffs and much better drumming. The drumming on UA is a bit too arena rock. Still, Mustaine and his contrarian politics are fun, even if you don't agree.