MEGADETH's DAVE MUSTAINE: Why Critics Have Been Harsh On 'Super Collider'

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
In a brand new interview with the Detroit Metro Times, MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine was asked why he thinks critics have been harsh on the band's new CD, "Super Collider", while fans seem to "love the new album." Mustaine replied: "Critics have to listen to a whole bunch of records and don't really have time to live with them like they used to when we were younger. They'll listen to a record once. If it grabs them, they'll say something about it. If it doesn't, they'll say something else about it. If somebody has said something good about it before, journalists nowadays can be impressed by a mob mentality. They'll jump on the bandwagon instead of being an individual and having their own opinions. There's also that psychosis where, if a guy doesn't like a person and he listens to the record, then it can be a masterpiece and they'll say it sucks. I know there have been a lot of misconceptions about me over the years and my autobiography cleared a lot of that up, but not everybody's read it."Mustaine was also asked if popularity on social media is a mark of success for bands now, more so than chart placing. "I think it's pretty relevant because it shows you that some bands have a couple of hundred following, some have a couple of thousand, some have 100,000," he said. "Then there are the players who really have a large following. So as much as I hate to say it, Facebook and the social media sites are really a living organism.""Super Collider" has sold around 72,000 copies in the United States since its June 4 release. The CD arrived in stores via Mustaine's new label, Tradecraft, distributed by Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

More...