Melodic brutal death metal from a n00b

chrisdoig24k

Boom King
Aug 24, 2006
Hellbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to recording and mixing and all that jazz. This morning, I recorded a song called For The Crows, it's on www.myspace.com/carcharothaus and I'm really interested to get people's advice on how to make it better. I deliberately put the gain up on this song rather than down, I wanted a bit of fuzz.

I use:
Engl Poweball 100W head
Engl 4*12 cab

Rode NT1-A condenser mic (about 3 inches from the grille, off axis)
Shure SM57 (same placement, different speaker cone)
into a Tascam US-122L USB audio interface

I use Audacity on the computer, I've never got Cubase or Sonar working.

All the tracks are compressed, but no other plugins.

Cheers, I'd appreciate your advice!

Awesome, cheers. I tuned my guitar with a boss chromatic tuner TU-2 pedal, but it's a six string playing in Drop A so that could be a problem. I downloaded that GSnap autotune, but I couldn't figure out how to use it!
I'll get cracking on Reaper, cause Aud'arse'ity does kinda suck. Go joke burglary!

How is it in terms of 'the mix'?

as far as your mix goes....

The guitars really don't stand out at all, you really can't hear any drums at all. If all you did was add compression then this really isnt a mix, its just the raw tracks with some panning and volume leveling. The vocals seem really separate from the rest of the mix. Keep at it though it just takes a shit ton of practice and patience.

Jordan

Oh you showed me GTune, but I had used a tuner pedal to get myself as in tune as I could.
What's the auto tuner on Reaper like? I don't want to record it all again!

I've done a little more work on the mix, added some reverb to the vocals (I hear this makes it sit in the mix better. How would a pro put everything together? I really want to be able to do everything by myself without going to studios and producers and stuff.

Thanks for the advice, it's awesome!

One other thing, I put all the stuff into Reaper, and tried to use Drumkit from Hell 2, but it was triggering the wrong drums. Anyone knwo what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
-Chris

http://www.sneapforum.CeltiaProductions.co.uk/Carcharoth/05 For The Crows 320.mp3

There's the link. Took me a while to figure out this computer magic! I've worked on the mix a little since last time, I got the vocals sitting inside a little better with some reverb. Dunno how to clear up the guitars though :erk:

I figured out the DKFH question, don't worry about that!

Also, I found some members for Carcharoth and will be taking it live in the near future :headbang: