(Melodic Doom) Sleepwalkers - The Burning Oracle (EP track)

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
Hey guys so I have finally gotten around to finishing this up thanks to Belac, who does the vocals on this song. My references for this mix were October Tide and Shape of Despair (Angels of Distress in particular) and it worked out well for what I was going for. This may be the last time i try and mix this one, need to move on from this (started this project in 2010!) and commit to the mix. Let me know what you think!

2nd iteraation as posted below

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your overall sound. Maybe the drums could have a little bit more punch, especially the kick. It's a bit lost in the mix. The snare can also be more present. In Angels of Distress for example you can see how huge is the snare.

i listen from headphones right now but i LOVE vocals..the sound of vocals is so..sweet! nice work dude..! your chain?
in other way i find the mix too... ''weak'' for my taste..

I cant quite remember the chain but it was at least an 1176-style comp on there. Thanks for the tips on the kick/snare, I will make adjustments.

As for the rest, yeah I can undersatand it being weak for sure, but the point of posting it here is to hear opinions on HOW it's weak and what I could do to make it better. :)

I dont find the mix weak, it fits quite well the style. I agree that the kick could be better, you could work a better relation between the bass and kick. Otherwise good mix.

If you want a honest opinion.... The guitars are a little harsh (could remove some 2-4Khz), the drums and the vocals should be more upfront and genaly everything should be more glued together.

^ the voice is quite upfront, if something needs to come up a little it´s the drum. The balance between guitars and voice is good IMO.

If you want a honest opinion.... The guitars are a little harsh (could remove some 2-4Khz), the drums and the vocals should be more upfront and genaly everything should be more glued together.

Well I surely dont want sugar coated opinions.:lol: Or none at all.

Thanks guys!

Dude, amazing vocals, you really found the perfect guy for it!

On the mix, it's pretty good, I don't hear anything that stands out in a bad way, but It could be more "glued", but I'm not sure how you would do that

Vocals need to be more upfront?? That's insane, I can pretty much smell the guy's breath when listening hahaha

Ok sweet thanks guys. I'm going to try and hit the busses harder and try a few different mastering compressors because I think that might be part of the problem with the drums not showing, on the raw mixdown they punch through very well.

Killer vocalist Mike!

Mixwise I think the guitars dominate everything (apart from vox, which are also a bit loud) a bit too much and the bass could be a lot stronger

Thanks Marco!

I tweaked it a bit today and here's the result:

I'm at a friend's house but I can tell on his monitors that the kick is now too loud fuuuuuu but otherwise imo it's better. I really appreciate you guys helping me out! I need to make this as good as possible, it's some of the best music i've written... before or since heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hear what you meant about the kick now. I listened with two different sets of headphones and some decent speakers. Vocals are buried by guitar a little bit now. Also kick drum sounds especially loud on my speakers but not as bad with headphones. :erk: Damn mixing can be a bitch. :lol: