Melodic doom, need some feedback on this mix.

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to listen man. About the guitars, I'm not necessarily disagreeing that they're muddy or flat tonally as you said, but I don't see why them being DIs has anything to do with it. I mean, I know most people (including pros) record guitar DIs and reamp them later.
As far as the general style of the mix, I don't have much say in it, it was the band's choice to sounds similar to those bands I mentioned. But even if I was, I think I prefer the level of ambiance as it is.

I would first give more body to the bass guitar, it gets masked now. Then you can refine the guitars, they are quite midheavy (@ searanox, you probably meant the same not that it is midscooped) , would add more highs or presence to make it brighter, and also more lows to help the palm muted parts.
nice work otherwise :)

Sorry, by DIs there I meant amp sims. They sound very digital and fake to my ears, especially in the palm mutes - lots of harsh highs and general flatness/muddiness is usually a sure sign of amp and cabinet sims for me, and unless you're using really high-end hardware amp modeling, no software is ever going to sound quite like the real thing. However if they really are reamped then I guess my intuition was off. :p

Well that makes more sense and I don't disagree in general :), and indeed you were right that it is an amp sim ;).

Personal taste aside, you're close to a balanced mix if you reamp your guitars properly avoiding sims. Also, the clean vocals need
a bit more deifinition - though I'm quite sure guitars are the culprit again.