Anyone care to offer some feedback on this mix? (real drums, kemper)

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
This is a band I'm working with right now, they play melodic doom metal, although I'm not sure this particular song can be classified as such.

Anyway, I used kemper for the guitars (one of Lasse's profiles). The drums are real with samples blended on kick and snare.

The band asked me to use a "swallow the sun" album as a reference.

Here's the track: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316805/Immensity/Sullen_M001S.mp3

Any advices/suggestions are welcome.

Guitars sound great! Bass could use some hard compression though to make it more solid. It's jumping out a lot it feels like. I love the blend of it with the guitars though. Fits together nice
The snare volume definitely needs brought up. Maybe add a high shelf to make it pop out of the mix a little bit more. I love snares, but this one sounds buried :/
The vocals do sound a tad muddy and maybe could use a littttle bit more compression. Maybe get a harmonic exciter and EQ it on the vocal to do like 1k to 4k. That would probably do the trick

Appreciate the comments guys, I'll look into it. Although, I admit I'm not sure what you mean by "muddy vocals", I was only aware of the term "muddy guitars" until know :). Are you referring to all vocals or just the brutal/clean parts? They do have quite a bit of compression though, I doubt that's the problem.

The snare indeed has some issues, I've been made aware from other people that it's also over-compressed.

Bass is squashed to death, the waveform is practically a straight line ;) Maybe something is happening with the low end, I should use some multi-band compression maybe?

Just cleans and listen on monitors I had to agree with Jaosix on bass guitar and for vocals boosting high end will do,it sounds like 'muddiness' come from reverb/delay.I like the overall sound of the mix.