Carcass- Heartwork Cover, all Kemper, real Drums.

VESmedic

Nov 17, 2012
Hey guys, my band did a cover of the song heartwork by the band carcass off their legendary album, Heartwork. All kemper, 4 rhythm tracks, bass is kemper as well. I did not mix this, and my singer for sure does not claim to be an expert, so go easy. It was fun to do at the very least. Also, audio was rendered in 44.1 as well as like 8kb, so sound quality MAY not be up to par through reverbnation (reverbnation requires this ). Please pay no attention to the other tracks on reverbnation, as they are horrible and before I joined the band, from many years ago, and was not part of my contribution, completely different band actually then.

Feel free to give any advice. We are all pretty new to all of this, and come from various backgrounds/sound preferences (in this band). So mixing is kind of a challenge, especially given what we have to work with. There is no special plug ins or "expensive" type of equipment to enhance the sound of this really (Kemper being the most expensive haha). So basically, this was the best we could do with real drums, maybe not the best mics, some sampling, Presonus firewire mic preamp, the Kemper, and some Chris Lord Alge compression/EQ plugins for the drums and bass. Might start investing in some decent plugins (slate tape simulator, distressor for saturation, neve style plugins, SSL channel strip simulation etc) and see how much better we could do with our mixes. What a pain in the ass, because 6 months from now, our mixes will probably be lightyears better than this one, and we will always constantly want to re do everything! Anyways, any feedback is always appreciated.

As far as Profiles: I believe 2 were Lasse Lammert's "old school tampa death" profile, cabinet is a mesa oversized 4x12 from a 5150 profile done for me. 2 more tracks are one of the tonesides 6505's from their "metal pack" along with the same cabinet. Bass is a DI profile of my bass players Eden head.

http://www.reverbnation.com/ringofscars/song/17997792-heartwork-20th-anniversary-carcass

sure I can probably do that :) I can't right this second however, as I do not have them on my computer, I will email my singer who has them all and have them send me them over in a zip file for you guys. Actually that would be really great, I would love to hear what some of you guys could do with this as well :)

sure I can probably do that :) I can't right this second however, as I do not have them on my computer, I will email my singer who has them all and have them send me them over in a zip file for you guys. Actually that would be really great, I would love to hear what some of you guys could do with this as well :)

That would be nice! Thanks man!

Sounds great man! Was always one of my favorite Carcass songs. Can't wait till new album is released. Also agree you should totally post the stems/multitracks etc :)

Thanks guys, glad you all dig it. I will have the stems up tomorrow or Friday at the latest... Just confirming you guys want completely raw right? No samples at all etc? Any input on the mix/tone etc??

Thanks guys, glad you all dig it. I will have the stems up tomorrow or Friday at the latest... Just confirming you guys want completely raw right? No samples at all etc? Any input on the mix/tone etc??

Completely RAW!

hey guys, my singer is bouncing down individual tracks today, some time, thanks for being patient. Any mix crique? Anything you guys hate/like? I mean, sure its not full professional production obviously, but for the "ears" of the board, I'd really like some input, even if the input is it SUCKS! Haha.

Don't really have much to critique, its a pretty solid mix! Not a huge fan of the guitar tone, it sounds a bit too harsh and electric (if that makes sense?) at times. Other than that a good job! Look forward to having a go myself.

It sounded good to me dude. Was it in a different tuning to the original? The harmonies sounded a little different.

Yes, its a half step lower (B flat), as my 7 string with the OFR is set up in b flat. I didn't do the harmonies, and wasn't really pleased at all with how they came out but thats my only real gripe.