Melodic Metalcore Mix

MisSigsFan

Aug 7, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hey guys, I've been working on this song for my band for a while and I made a demo recording for them to check out. The guitars were done with a Peavey XXX head going straight into my toneport using a mesa cab impulse. The drums were done with Superior Drummer 2 and replaced toms and kick, and the bass was done in Amplitube 3. Lemme know what you think of my mix. It's not anywhere near pro quality, but I'm working on it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13361701/song idea1.mp3

Maybe it's just me but the song takes too long to get started. If vocals were there it might be a different story. Mix overall sounds decent. Guitars are a little muddy. Too much gain maybe? Could be the bass also because it doesn't sound too hot honestly. I don't know if it's compression on the master but the drums sound way too dry. Any verb on them? I would try and hollow out that kick some. Try to widen it up and make not so focused. Try cutting some "cardboard" out 300-6--hz. Might have to drop some of the low end to compensate after you do that. Overall it's not bad. Just needs some tweaking. That's part of the learning process I guess. Haha

Maybe it's just me but the song takes too long to get started. If vocals were there it might be a different story. Mix overall sounds decent. Guitars are a little muddy. Too much gain maybe? Could be the bass also because it doesn't sound too hot honestly. I don't know if it's compression on the master but the drums sound way too dry. Any verb on them? I would try and hollow out that kick some. Try to widen it up and make not so focused. Try cutting some "cardboard" out 300-6--hz. Might have to drop some of the low end to compensate after you do that. Overall it's not bad. Just needs some tweaking. That's part of the learning process I guess. Haha

Pretty much all of this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses words like 'cardboard' or 'sandpaper' as adjectives for sounds. :lol:

Snare has way too much compression or is being eaten up by the limiting. Either have less gain reduction on the compressor or put a clipper on it so the limiter doesn't destroy it.

Really like this song man, but the drums are waaaaaay too low. But other than that I like the guitar tone A LOT!
Any chances you're starting a band or something, cause this needs some vocals and needs to be played live.
I'd pay to hear this live man!
If you need a session vocalist I'm up for it haha.

Really like this song man, but the drums are waaaaaay too low. But other than that I like the guitar tone A LOT!
Any chances you're starting a band or something, cause this needs some vocals and needs to be played live.
I'd pay to hear this live man!
If you need a session vocalist I'm up for it haha.

This song is for my band, haha. Check the sig, yo!

The new mix needs the bass guitar turned up, not enough low end. It would make it a lot punchier. Turn up the low end track of the bass.

Listened to it again and yep, drums are buried in the layered parts. Snare could use some more clarity/presence and the toms need some more body.
Bass has zero low end as i hear it, sounds more like you recorded it with your guitar but I'm probably wrong.
I do still love the guitar tone... sick as hell!

Listened to it again and yep, drums are buried in the layered parts. Snare could use some more clarity/presence and the toms need some more body.
Bass has zero low end as i hear it, sounds more like you recorded it with your guitar but I'm probably wrong.
I do still love the guitar tone... sick as hell!

Guilty. I gotta start using trillian or something like that. I know it's stupid to just use a guitar and pitch shift down.

Guilty. I gotta start using trillian or something like that. I know it's stupid to just use a guitar and pitch shift down.

Haha the end justifies the means mate! I do would like some info on the guitar chain if possible? Really digging it. Is it still your peavy head?

Haha the end justifies the means mate! I do would like some info on the guitar chain if possible? Really digging it. Is it still your peavy head?

Nope. I'm using LTD EC1000 -> TSE 808 -> Lecto -> LeCab 2 with Gods Cab impulses -> Q10 (EQ)

Lecto is a great amp sim. I use it all the time now.

I don't have a cab right now, so I can't use my Triple X at the moment. Lecto does the job though!

EDIT: Updated the mix. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13361701/new song master.mp3