Mercenary drum sound

Razvan

7 string shredder
Aug 27, 2007
www.myspace.com
Please listen to the songs in the player at this location http://www.myspace.com/mercenarydenmark , focusing on drum sound, especially on snare and kick..

Could anyone help guessing some compression and eq settings and can tell if every drum element seems to be layered, produced from several types. As a tip I'm using BFD standard and xfl libraries.

Thanks
R

I love the drumsound on that album, I think what you here on the snare is pretty much the directsound from the trigger. Killer album !

Yeah, Jacob Hansen's drums sounds awesome, and Mercenary’s new album kick some serious ass.

My guess (based on what I read somewhere) is that he uses a lot of the natural drum sounds processing it with analog gear, and then blends that with the triggers sounds. Plugins like Waves Transient X works really well making the natural sounds snappy.

Your eq and compressions settings will vary a lot depending on the source (the drum set and player). Usually is a lot of work to get the tone your after using natural drums, but at the end I think it sounds a lot better than triggers, specially with plugins.

If you're lucky, the man himself could drop a word. Has been a while since he last posted something.

Check out these photos taken from Hansen's page:
Mercenary
2.JPG

Aborted: surprise! a 421 on the snare. I’ll try that next time I have a chance.
3.jpg

Nightrage
5.jpg

Raunchy
3.jpg

4.jpg

and Volbeat
1.JPG

Good luck!