Merch guy at The House Of Blues

Triumphant Apostle

Disciple Of The Watch
Dec 8, 2001
St.Paul, MN
Visit site
Was I the only one who thought this guy was a complete asshole? I heard him arguing with some guy because he wanted to buy the display of one of the shirts since the rest were sold out. This jerk didn't want to let him do it! If you didn't bring enough in, and they sold out, there is no reason why there should be a problem with buying the display. He eventually let the guy buy it, but only after being a complete cocksucker about it first. Then when I ask him if they are going to bring more merch in(before Opeth even went on the hoodie was gone...) and he acts like it's a fucking problem. I assume that guy works for Opeth, and if he does I hope they read this and fire his ass!

You know what really chaps my ass about all of these merch people is that for each show they allot so many shirts for that particular venue and once they are gone, that's it -no more.

My problem is if you have potential customers right in front of you, why would you not want the sale?

What happens at the end of the tour if you are stuck with a shit load of shirts because you had some self-imposed limit placed upon you? Then you end up blowin' 'em out at some wholesaler instead of getting the much higher price that you would've at the show.

I understand the BS about wanting to make sure that all the stops on the tour have the chance to buy the stuff, but it's getting to the point where if you don't run up to the counter to buy a shirt in the first ten minutes you get in the door, forget it. The stuff will be sold out.

I ran into this same prob when I saw Porcupine Tree in Milw. They ran out of my size and wouldn't go to the truck to get more.

Whatever...pisses me off

Apparently none of these bands give a shit otherwise you would think they would fix the problem:mad:

What pissed me off was that they took the merch stand down after show, so I couldn't go back and get the other stuff I wanted, assuming they still had some of it. Yeah, the guy was kind of jerk to say the least, he was trying to rush people because a line was building up behind them. Well, you couldn't exactly see the display stuff all that well, so when you got up front, you needed to look a bit to see what you wanted. Also, they did not have nearly enough stock of XL stuff, as he told me that the only size available for the Paradise Lost stuff was L.

I was really pissed that they sold out of the Opeth hoodie because of the fact that it was only $40! I can almost guarantee it will be more anywhere else I find it...All because they have a fucking limit to how much each show gets...If you ask me that is taking money away from the band, and something NEEDS to be done about that. You can't tell me he couldn't have had someone go out to the fucking truck and get some more of them :mad:

Bands sign merch deals in pretty much the same way they'll sign a record contract. The band probably wouldn't know the guy selling the shirts (at first, anyway), as he'll be working for the merch company and not the band.

And yes, they tend to be cocks of the highest order :)

Lee

Wow I guess I was lucky at Agora....the first time I went to the table was after the ENORMOUS CROWD over there had dissipated a bit, and it was at the end of Tapping the Vein's set. Nothing was "sold out" just yet, and that in itself was amazing, judging from what you all are saying. I asked for a hoodie and a white girlie tee, and the guy said that he had more hoodies, but he had run out of what was out on display, and we'd have to come back later, after he'd had time to get them out of the box. So I got the one shirt then and then after the entire show was over I went back and got the hoodie.......amazing

That was woody, he is Immolations tour manager as well as he works with tons of other bands. Cool guy, I don't know if he was doing other shows like the chicago show, but I assume so.

Was it this guy?

Woodieee.gif

I just see no reason for them to be shitty about merch sales. I mean, i'f im driving 6+ goddam hours to see these guys (which I did do, and would happily do it again) and i have $$ for merch, I want some goddam fucking merch, not attitude. and no bullshit excuses. Sorry, but I'm the fucking customer!! I paid to get there. I paid to get inside, paid an arm and a leg for a drink, if I want to pay for a shirt, then I WANT TO GET A FUCKING SHIRT!! This snapper-head cocksucker put a sour tast in my mouoth on what was otherwise a perfct night!! :mad:

Knowing how House of Blues operates, I can say that they probably gave the merchandise guy very strict rules about getting the merch table down by the time the show ended, because HOB tries to shove everyone out of there as quickly as possibly once the last note is played, most particularly in the case of an all ages show. Plus, security probably gets on their cases about that small area getting too congested with people waiting in line....as discussed before in this forum, HOB security and staff tend to be a bit overbearing....
I can't understand why they didn't just let them set up the merch back in the coat check area. It's much much more convenient and spacious there.
And as for the lack of merch per show thing, unfortunately that's a problem thats always going to exist. Unless a band seriously overstocks their merch at the beginning of a tour (and even sometimes that doesnt work due to surprising demand) they have to allocate their stuff per show. On the BWP tour, they didnt do that, and what happened was that little more than halfway through the tour they ran out of certain shirts, and then you had people screaming about how Opeth didn't have any shirts when they came to their town. It's a really tricky situation that unfortunately tends to leave someone unsatisfied at some point. Hopefully on the full length U.S. tour, they will have more than enough merch to go around. I myself didnt get a hoodie because they sold out....hopefully next time.

Correct. By the time they got to cleveland on the BWP tour, there were NO shirts available at all! Now that sucks...

If you want to bitch and complain, just make sure you get to the show early! Damn...

Does anyone out there have any way of getting this complaint to the band?

I think they would be very interested in hearing some of these problems. After all, it affects their bottom line, not anyone elses

Opeth know about the problem, it's just that all they can do is complain to their management about it or whatever....they weren't happy about selling out of merch so quickly on the BWP tour, but like I said, that stuff can be really hard to organise and the band can't always control every aspect of what goes on.

As for that Cleveland show mentioned, I know they had merch for the first leg of the tour (with Amorphis) but they were sold out into the second leg (with Nevermore), so maybe that's when Valgalder is referring to......plus, the band of course immediately put an order in to the mech manufacturer to have more stuff sent out, but the stuff didnt show up until later in the tour. I remember because I had to get a girls shirt for a friend, and had to wait until the end of the tour to get one because they were sold out for most of the tour!