Mes Studio Preamp

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

A Mesa Boogie Studio preamp (the preamp part of a Martk 2C) appeared locally for good price. Is this preamp worth it / good tone ?

Thanks

Ivan, I owned one quite a while back, but it would give a tone similar to the Mark series amps. Probably closest to a MkIII. Might be good for some tones where you don't want a fizzy top end like some of the more modern amps have. As I recall, it's a very smooth tone with a pronounced mid range. The graphic EQ can help dial out some of the mid range "honk". They were pretty well made with quality parts as I recall.

If you want to know how the Mesa Mark's sound listen to MOP and AJFA by MetallicA. There was some studio magic but a live Mark IIC+, III, IV, studio preamp, quad preamp... are damn near dead on. In a modern setting you can always take a listen to Lamb Of God but I'm not a fan of that tone so it doesn't appeal to me. What's the asking price? Also remember that it's not a high gain monster like some of the newer amps, it has a bit of gain that completely useable but it's very smooth and open, not over saturated and aggressive.

I own one and i really like it for clean and lead sound. The rythms are more rockish than metalish and it needs a TS for a tight low end.