Mesa Boogie Road King II

Jeebo

Dec 29, 2005
Please share your thoughts about this amp. I play all different styles of music and I'm upgrading from a shitty crate gfx 30 that I've had for about 10 years. I've heard great things about this amp but I wanted to see how good the metal tones are. Are they true to the recto series? How is the 4th channel different form the third (is it like the 2nd and 3rd channel of the recto and if so what's the difference b/w those?) Are good lead tones easy to dial in or will I need an pedal for that? Of course, if I had the $ I'd get a Diezel but I can't justify dropping 4k for one of those babies. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

The difference between the 3rd and 4th channel is the amount of gain, that's pretty much it. With only 6l6's engaged you can dial in any recto sound you want, but it's when you engage the EL34's aswell that you really start to hear the great tones the Roadking has to offer.

Personally I prefer the first Roadking, the Loanstar clean sound doesn't compliment the rest of the channels on the amp IMO.

You should look at the Roadster too, we had one in the store a couple of months back and it sounded unbelievable.

The difference between the 3rd and 4th channel is the amount of gain, that's pretty much it. With only 6l6's engaged you can dial in any recto sound you want, but it's when you engage the EL34's aswell that you really start to hear the great tones the Roadking has to offer.

Personally I prefer the first Roadking, the Loanstar clean sound doesn't compliment the rest of the channels on the amp IMO.

You should look at the Roadster too, we had one in the store a couple of months back and it sounded unbelievable.

Man, it's so good to have you on the forum haha. You're like an instant review on any piece of gear we might want :p

Is there alot of tonal/channel voicing difference in the road king II and roadster? My understanding they were the same amps minus a few inputs/controls

Is there alot of tonal/channel voicing difference in the road king II and roadster? My understanding they were the same amps minus a few inputs/controls

The big difference is that you can't mix EL34s with 6L6s in the Roadster like you can in the Road King. There are other differences, but unless you have roadies to set your crap up, you'll likely not use the additional RK features.