Mesa Boogie DC-5

xJSx

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2009
Argentina
I need a Piece of advice here

I am owner of a beautiful DC-5 (Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber 50w)
I am not sure about it but maybe I would sell it and Buy a new option. I didn't find much info about this Amp on the Forum.
Please guys, did any of you have worked with it? what's your opinion about it?
what about it for modern metal gtr tones? I have TS9 to add it and RAT.

thanx

I had one for a while and my band did our old demo with it. Here's a clip of it boosted with a Maxon OD808

I really liked the amp. It was definitely voiced closer to a Recto, but I liked having some of the Mark series options.

oh definitly this is the same amp, un-mistakable colour
Ok, tellme don't you think some tones (mid highs) get suffocated, like choked??
It happens to me and I heard it a little on your sample.

oh definitly this is the same amp, un-mistakable colour
Ok, tellme don't you think some tones (mid highs) get suffocated, like choked??
It happens to me and I heard it a little on your sample.

They definitely do. It's sort of an oddly voiced amp. I definitely dig it, but it was partly because of the "choking" that I ended up switching to a Framus Cobra and soon after that a Mesa Roadster. The Cobra wasn't really my cup of tea.

Iv always wanted to try out a cobra or a dragon. but no one in my area carries framus

I like the Dragon a lot more than the Cobra honestly. I was able to take a Dragon home for a weekend once and owned a Cobra for about a month. The Cobra was just a little too extreme for me...and I'm in a metal band. The Cobra is like a totally over the top Rectifier, where as the Dragon is like a hot-rodded Marshall.

i had one dc3, sold it for almost nothing. regret it forever :( but the thing would not do metal or anything heavy well.

i used to own one. cool amp, pretty midrangey, but the 5 band EQ takes care of that (if you want it to)...great cleans too.
i only sold it because at that time i did a lot of touring, and with the flimsy eq sliders, no back grille etc i didn't feel it was too sturdy....and between getting a roadcase, or selling the amp for another one, you know what i had to do lol.

as for the sound, i'd describe it as a midway between modern and older mesas....in between mark and recto series.

yes I Igree, it is preety Middly

I tryed it on some 90's hard rock stuff, like faith no more or STP and it works great
the problem comes when I need a more modern sound.
What about combine it with another PRE?
I meen, only using the Power Amp Stage of the amp linked to other pre??

I love it for bass......for bass distortion it is great.......for baritone guitars and low tuned stuff it can be great....not particularly metal 5150 sounding though.