Mesa Boogie DC-5 question \m/ \m/

Estudio Blost

Ophelia is my constant!!
Hi you all sneapers!...:devil:

I wonder if anyone here is using a Mesa Boogie DC-5 (Dual Caliber) along with a Gibson Flying V with EMG 81 pickup on the bridge

if so, would you mind to help me sharing some DC-5 settings (EQ included) in order to get a good modern metal tone? Something close to a 6505+ or so?

just to clear things up, I'm searching for something close to Machine Head's 'The Blackening' or 'Through the ashes....' albums

I guess this amp will never sound as a 6505+ or 5150 or whatever, yeah,..I know,..but hey,....you know,...something similar it'll be enough

note: just if it helps, I own a TC Electronic NovaDrive pedal. This pedal would serve the porpouse of acting like a TS or something.

the fact is that I've been using the DC-5 with a Gibson SG Standard (EMG pickup on the bridge position) and Drop D tuning, and I was super happy with it!!....Killer Tone. Don't even remember how the heck I achieved such a good tone many years ago, but I did!!

...but now is a different story with the Flying V, don't know why, but I'm having some problems to get a great metal tone..

it sounds completely different to the Gibson SG (due to the different body shape and my new Drop C tuning I guess)

...but I'm completely sure the main problem is that I'm getting kinda' lost between the bunch of knobs and EQ stuff of the amp.

I need some starting point and that's why I'd like some help from you guys. I'm sure anyone of you is using the same amp+guitar+pickup configuration ;)

any sugestions?

thanks everyone in advance

best regards...you'll always ROCK!!! :O)

Carlos

I have this head and it CRUSHES! I am not at home now to look at my settings but the only pedals I use are a Tuner and Noise Supressor! The gain on this head is killer, they best head I have ever used.

I play it with my Jackson SLSMG and Jackson Christian Olde Wolbers Signature 6 string through a Vader Cab. I tweak the EQ on the head to my taste and good to go.

I tune to D-Standard!

Peter

Don't even remember how the heck I achieved such a good tone many years ago, but I did!!

Just a thought... are the tubes in good condition?

One thing to try, at least what I would do... flatten the eq. Get as good a tone as possible with just the knobs and then tweak the graphic eq to really get in the make it sound awesome...

There shouldn't be any reason (other than mechanical) that you aren't getting a good tone out of it... it might just be that your tonal tastes have changed since you last used the amp... thats what I'm guessing based on your want for MachineHead's tone... they are 5150 head for sure which don't have the same characteristics of mesa heads...

Hi AudioPhile777!

thanks for your reply

yeah,..I retubed the amp one year ago or so, tubes are in good condition ;)

I'll try to flatten the eq and start from zero to see what happens

I don't think the amp has any problem at all,...sorry if I didn't explained it fine,...my fault

is just that there are such an amount of different combinations for the knobs and EQ that my ear is starting to get lost in the middle of somewhere...hehe. I started from the settings I used with my Gibson SG, and yes,...it sounds cool, but obviously, the Flying V has a different shape and tonality. It seems like there's more low end and less mid range (a little scooped) I guess.....

so, long story short, I have to work the knobs for a while,...that's the only problem, and I'm sure I'll solve it soon

but I posted here just in case there's anyone who don't mind to share some settings. Just to go the easy way, you know, just to try different tones used by other people to see if I quickly find something better than what I already have.

thank you anyway Audiophile

@Bloodsoacked666

thanks for your comment, glad to see another member of the DC-5 community over here ;)

would you mind to post here your "go-to" settings for this amp?

Thaaaaanx guys,...you rock!! \m/ \m/

These are most similar to Mark series amps, right?

Remember.....too much bass and gain will make FLUB.

I owned a Mark IV for like 3 or 4 years and the last times I used it I was still finding new tones and magic in her!!

If I'm correct on assuming the DC is very similar to a Mark, then try something like this:

Gain: 6-7
Treb: 7-9 (treble = gain!)
Mid: 5
Bass: 1-3
Pres: 6-8 (depending)

with Graphic EQ I'd normally do a sorta V scoop but knock out some of the low end and make it so that the middle slider is juuuuust under the 0 or middle line.

Havent busted out the IV in months. This talk realllly makes me want to.

I think the DC is a more stripped down version of a Mark....

do you have a Gain AND Drive?

on my IV, I found some really tight chunk setting my Gain at like 5-6 and turning up my Drive to about 9. Certain aspects of this amp baffle me....like, I can barely tell a difference between having the Gain up/Drive down, or Gain down/Drive up....but in the above case it seems to do something magical.

I used to play through the DC5 combo + a 4x12 on a regular basis. All I remember is that I had to scoop the shit out of the mids on the graphic eq or it was honk city. The V shaped eq is the typical noob trap but in this case it was mandatory and I wasn't even playing metal then.

...If I'm correct on assuming the DC is very similar to a Mark...

In Boogie Mark series the tonestack is at the front of the preamp in all channels.

In DC the tonestack is in front of clean channel, but in lead channel comes after the preamp.

It's a significant difference, no? :D

I think the DC is a more stripped down version of a Mark....

do you have a Gain AND Drive?

on my IV, I found some really tight chunk setting my Gain at like 5-6 and turning up my Drive to about 9. Certain aspects of this amp baffle me....like, I can barely tell a difference between having the Gain up/Drive down, or Gain down/Drive up....but in the above case it seems to do something magical.

Nope ;) just Gain in the DC

thanks for the info, Bryan

The DC series is more Recto voiced than Mark...though it does cosmetically look like a Mark series.

It does perhaps clean like a Mark, and dirt like a Recto?

Ooooh...

Okay, Estudio Blost -- what you must do is open it up, and draw out all the components and their values, and how they are connected together, like a schematic diagram. Then send it to me.

This will help me to answer all of your questions. :D