Mesa Boogie Recto. WTF!?!

jangoux

May 9, 2006
We've got both a JSX and a Recto (Solo 50) at the studio i work on. I always try to use the Mesa for whatever drive tones we got but so far I always felt it was too heavy for most things i record - I really tought it was a 'heavy' amp. But today i recorded a metal band and i cannot get a decent tone with this amp no matter what! It always sounds like a buzzy chainsaw, too much bass, too much buzz and even with bass on 0 it sounds like a fart. I tried using the amp and on every damn setting it sounds like crap - Unlike the JSX, which i found a decent tone in 5 min. Boosted or unboosted, the amp still sounds like crap (i think i already myself clear :lol::lol:). If i use some settings guys post here, the amp just sounds undergained, undefined - well, that what it sounds os every setting.

So, can anyone give me ANY advice on how to get anything useable with this amp besides doing the bias mod (as the amp isn't mine, and my boss will freak out if i put my hands inside it) ?

Btw, we're using that horizontal 2x12 mesa cab.

Ivan

Sounds like all my experiences with a Solo 50 (AKA Single Rec) I'm sorry to say :( Don't suppose you have access to some sort of Tube Screamer though? Cuz that'll definitely help!

Yeah, i've tried that. Then it sounds like a honky chainsaw. It really is THAT bad.

well, i never played another recto before, so i really dont know if its ok or not. My boss bought it used from a known brazilian guitarist, so maybe the tubes arent the newest, but that thing is sounding terrible. i swear i could achieve a better tone with a valvestate or something.

All I can suggest doing is reading the manual for it (available for download on the boogie website) and tweak your settings on the 'sweet spots' of the EQ. If it sounds TERRIBLE with all of them, I am guessing there is something wrong with it.

I'm really curious to hear a clip of a single recto. I keep reading how different they are from the duals, but I don't think I remember ever hearing a clip from one. Having not played in person doesn't help either.

I've got a rectoverb 2x12 here which is pretty similar to what you have. Theres only a couple of things i can think of. Your valves could be shot as previously mentioned, or maybe the guitarist you are trackings hands arent suited to the mesa voice?
I get guitarists who sound great on a pod/5150/PeaveyXXX but when it comes to the mesa they just dont have the hands.

I've got a rectoverb 2x12 here which is pretty similar to what you have. Theres only a couple of things i can think of. Your valves could be shot as previously mentioned, or maybe the guitarist you are trackings hands arent suited to the mesa voice?
I get guitarists who sound great on a pod/5150/PeaveyXXX but when it comes to the mesa they just dont have the hands.

Funny you metion that, I used to play through a ADA MP-2 rig and switched over to a Mesa Triple Recto and it took me awile to get used to playing on it. It helped me become a better guitar player, for the fact that i had to play alot more cleanly and couldnt hide behind the mass amounts of gain i used to use with an ADA :lol: