Recto Recording Pre?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I'm curious as to whether you think using the Recto Recording pre through the power amp of my JSX would sound enough like a rectifier to justify the cost. I know the recording out on it sucks major ass, but I'm basically wondering how much the power section of an amp affects its characteristic tone, and thus if I could get the majority of the recto flavor by doing the equivalent of slaving a Rectifier through my Peavey. Any thoughts?

Depends on how much flavour gets added through the JSX power section, I suppose. Same with the recto. Its certainly worth a try though. If you're handy you could invest some time in making a Dr Boogey which is a stompbox that re-creates most of the recto flavour for maybe 50 bucks in parts. Saves you a whole lotta money

Or maybe that Rocktron recto copy pedal.

you won't get 100% recto since a big part of the recto tone (and feel) is that the recto doesn't use negative feedback in the power-section.

still the tone's you'll be getting will be pretty typically recto-tones..just a bit different though (I used to use a recto pre thru mesa 295 poweramp and am using a dual now)

Depends on how much flavour gets added through the JSX power section, I suppose. Same with the recto. Its certainly worth a try though. If you're handy you could invest some time in making a Dr Boogey which is a stompbox that re-creates most of the recto flavour for maybe 50 bucks in parts. Saves you a whole lotta money

Or maybe that Rocktron recto copy pedal.

Hmmm...never heard of that. Sounds like another good project for me. Thanks for that!

Daunt has the Zombie from rocktron. maybe he should share some comments.

I think that pedal thru a tube amp may give a good recto vibe.

FWIW you can probably find a used dual rec for close to the cost of a new recto recording pre.

Yeah, that's what I've been realizing, though the rackmountability of the recording pre would be pretty cool for live use with my newly acquired Hafler MosFET power amp...

Hey guys, I'm curious as to whether you think using the Recto Recording pre through the power amp of my JSX would sound enough like a rectifier to justify the cost. I know the recording out on it sucks major ass, but I'm basically wondering how much the power section of an amp affects its characteristic tone, and thus if I could get the majority of the recto flavor by doing the equivalent of slaving a Rectifier through my Peavey. Any thoughts?
You might get close but you won't have it exactly unless you use the Mesa "2: one hundred" power amp. Power amp IS primordial in the Rectifier sound.