A little help with a dual recto...

MatiaS

Musician
Dec 1, 2007
Santiago, Chile
Hi every one....

I need a little bit of help with my recto setting.... I'm looking for a particular kind of sound for a recording that I need to do..... I need a really tight sound, like Megadeth, Metallica (black album, Justice album), Black Tide, In Flames and all that stuff...

So if anyone could help me with the setting.

I have a 3CH Dual Recto with a Marshall 1960B Cabinet..... if i need any other equipment like, EQs, Compressors, etc... tell me and i'm gonna looking for that you recommend me with my friends and co-workers (guitar equipment, not for recording).

I usually use de Recto for riff recording in the Orange Channel, Modern mode.

Bass: 11:00
Mid: 12:00
Trebel: 2:00
Prescence: 3:00
Gain: 2:30
Ch Vol: 11:00

Output: 12:00

Power: Spongy

Rectifier: Tubes

This setting is more like a "nickelback" sound.... but now the band that i'm recording wants something more like the Metallica "justice" Album or black album... whatever something thight... so I was trying this Settings in the Orange Channell in Modern mode:

Bass: 11:00
Mids: 9:00
Trebel: 2:30
Prescence: 2:30 - 3:00
Gain: 2:30
Ch. Vol: 1:00

Output: 12:00

Power: Bold

Rectifier: Diodes.

But i'm not totally convinced with this sound for recording.... so give me some suggestions...

Thanks guys!

Cheers!

rectifiers dont really have a tight bottom end so if your looking for that andjustice/black sound you would be better off with a mark IV or a triaxis...and downpicking everything possible...

if you want to get a tighter sound with your rectifier i suggest you get a tubescreamer... anyone of them will work.. use the search function to find info on them theres like a whole 10 page thread on it..

i would try turning your gain down to around 1:30..

Whoops, nevermind - Tube Screamer definitely (see the sticky in the Production Tips sub-forum)

Yeah, I say red channel modern setting, mess with the presence for a couple hours + tube screamer and you should end up pretty much in the territory.

orange channel. tube screamer. by god lower thew bass!!!! 9 - 10 oclock, treble 1 oclock. bold rectifier, silicone diodes.

raising treble past noon raises the entire tone circuit which includes bass and mids (read the manual, there is usefull stuff in there)

Use the red channel:

Bold, Silicon Diode

Bass: 10-12 O'Clock...really depends on your guitar
Mids: 10-12 O'Clock
Treble: 12 O'Clock
Presence: 9 O'Clock
Gain: 1 O'Clock

Tubescreamer-type pedal with Level maxed, Gain all the way down, and Tone to taste.

That should get you a good tight sound.

Hmm, not too sure about level maxed on the TS, that just adds more gain, which is kinda pointless; I usually keep it at around 10:30 on mine, though more importantly I like it to be the same volume with it on as when it's off (I have my volume knob up but mute the strings so I hear the buzz from the pickups, and engage/disengage the pedal, adjusting the level until the volume is equal between the two)

Presence = noise. The more presence, the more hiss and noise that is unnecessary. If you use less presence, then you won't have to roll off so much high-end (low passing) afterwards. :)

~006

I dunno, the general consensus with Peavey amps is that they really open up with higher presence (though within reason, I find presence to be the only control on a 5150 that can make it sound fucking awful if it's too high; every other knob is comparitively subtle tweaks)

Whats with all the low presence that people seem to be using these days? :)
At least on the 3channel Recto's, the presence control on the red channel is very, very aggressive! Cranking it will make your tone fizzy, thin and horrible sounding.

You can use a lot more presence on the orange channel, but when using the red channel, I often turn the presence completely off.(modern mode, diodes, bold)

A lot of people hate the 3channel Recto's just because they automatically crank the presence and then wonder why it sounds so fizzy. The orange channel is more like the older 2channel Recto's when it comes to the presence control.

With my now former 6505, I used a lot of Presence, 3o'clock if I remember correctly.

The presence controls on Rectos works reaaaally weird, too. You can turn it off and the amp can still be very bright, you just use the treble knob to compensate. On the modern mode, I personally keep the presence near off and up the high end a bit from where I otherwise would've had it.

Yeah the presence with the red channel is really aggressive, I mean I usually use mine at around 1 o clock, maybe 12 at times. But im going to try and bring it down to around 10/11 o clock for recording in future. If the high end fizz is caused by the presence being too high on the recto thats good because that may have solved one of my issues. The Peaveys seem the opposite? They usually have a better tone with the pres cracked such as the likes of Sneap/Suecof etc settings suggest. The orange channel is much duller/bassier sounding which really warrents the need for more presence! lol

So would you say the red with less pres might be chunkier (metal tone here not rock) than the orange with the pres cranked? More is less right?

So would you say the red with less pres might be chunkier (metal tone here not rock) than the orange with the pres cranked? More is less right?

I personally love the red channel with the presence down! It is a bit tighter than the orange channel and like DSS3 said, you can compensate the low presence settings by using a bit more treble, so you still get the brightness, but without the fizz and the lack of low-end.. Sounds insanely good on tape! Chunky and tight with zero fizz!

I remember using the Sneap Recto settings for a while, and they had the presence at 12:30o'clock or something, and it sounded horrible! No low end, only fizz and treble. That was because those settings were used with the old 2channel Recto, which is like I mentioned before, more like the orange channel.

I have compared the red and orange channels with similar settings (except for the presence) I tracked the same riff and the red was a lot more focused while still sounding huge!

I personally love the red channel with the presence down! It is a bit tighter than the orange channel and like DSS3 said, you can compensate the low presence settings by using a bit more treble, so you still get the brightness, but without the fizz and the lack of low-end.. Sounds insanely good on tape! Chunky and tight with zero fizz!

I remember using the Sneap Recto settings for a while, and they had the presence at 12:30o'clock or something, and it sounded horrible! No low end, only fizz and treble. That was because those settings were used with the old 2channel Recto, which is like I mentioned before, more like the orange channel.

I have compared the red and orange channels with similar settings (except for the presence) I tracked the same riff and the red was a lot more focused while still sounding huge!

Ahh its all starting to fall into place now, I also tried the Sneap settings before and thought it was all in my mic placement or something. Awesome well without hijacking the thread that gives Matias another option as well as myself! :lol:

Do you turn your presence totally off or leave it around the 9 o clock area? :headbang:

Ahh its all starting to fall into place now, I also tried the Sneap settings before and thought it was all in my mic placement or something. Awesome well without hijacking the thread that gives Matias another option as well as myself! :lol:

Do you turn your presence totally off or leave it around the 9 o clock area? :headbang:

:lol: Yeah, I was lost with the Sneap setting as well, since I didn't know about the differences between the 2chan and 3chan Rectos. I tried to make it work with different mic placement's etc. but I always sounded like utter crap! Then I read somewhere about the differences between the old 2channel and the new 3channel heads and it fell into place.

When tracking, it's 50/50 depending what I am tracking.(the 0-9o'clock thing) It still remains clear and doesen't turn muddy at all. Of course my ear had to get used to the tone at first, because coming from all-treble fizz-hell it was quite a radical change. But when I tried tracking the amp, it sounded soooo much better! Smoother, a lot more balanced yet chunky and tight. My settings are pretty much like the Sneap settings, but with the presence very low.

Yeah all my previous recordings have had that presence heavy tone dialed in and one thing ive really found is that I can hardly boost anything in the 5K area for more/presence (lol) or bite, which has really started to bug me recently. I do like the in your face Chimaria, Testament, Divine Heresy type guitars but was having this battle with the fizz! Im gonna be laying down some ghost guitars next week sometime so ill be sure to experiment with this. I didnt realise this was the main different between the 2 and 3 channel rectos, I thought they just had a slightly different tonality in general. This will no doubt open a whole new world when tracking guitars now since ive had to compensate with strange mic positions/EQ etc. Awesome stuff cheers TomiR and the rest! :D