Laboogie Mr. Rector (Recto vs Hector)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
another NAD for me....Laboga Mr. Hector.

I didn't love the amp the first time I tried/recorded it a couple of years ago...I'm kinda liking it now, still have a minor complaint (same as last time), but it's not a bad amp at all...

compared to my RevF Recto it has much more gain and sounds much darker, the low mid range is also more wooly though (that's what was my main complaint back than as well, the stuffy low mids)....

anyways, here's a little comparison (sorry, no yt video for that, hope I'll find the time to do that at some point though).

RevF 2ch Recto

Settings (all o'clock)
Volume: 9:15
Presence: 8:45
Bass: 12:00
Mid: 9:20
Treb: 12:00
Gain: 2:30

Mr. Hector

Settings (all o'clock)
Master:11:00
Volume: 1:00
Bass: 12:00
Mid: 9:20
Treb: 1:00
Gain: 12:30
bright switch: engaged

both amps were boosted with an od808.
Cab: Mesa Rectifier
Mic: single sm57

I had a Hector for years (got an endorsement from Laboga back in 2007) and sold it last year - I really miss it I must say. It's kinda wooly and doesn't sound very spectacular on its own but always worked great in the mix for me. My biggest complaint was the lack of a presence knob as the treble can get too harsh but backing it off will make it more wooly and darker sounding. I always used the 50 watt and rectifier setting which gave it more character I think. Bass at around 1 o'clock, mids at 10-11 o'clock, Treble around 2-3 o'clock. Of course depending on the Cab used.
In your example I like your Mesa quite a bit more I must say. More space in the low mids and easier on the ear without being less aggressive.

the lack of a presence pot is definitely a big downside, cause as you said, raising the treble pot doesn't open it up enough/like a presence pot would.
but if you don't need a lot of bite and like a brutal dark tone, the Herctor is pretty cool.

The fact that the rectro costs 1000 euros more than the Hector is very important.
I guess it's natural that the client wants to hear a difference that is worth paying 1000 more.
That's why i always prefer the 6505 from the dual rectifier.
1300 euros difference in price....
you can buy one 6505 and one 3120 instead of a dual rectifier.
Or a 6505 and a rectifier cabinet(which is amazing).
It's a great amp of course,but i don't really think it should be so expensive.