NGD: Laboga Annihilator Mr. Hector

Thanks khe & wild hades. It's good to know what the possibilities are for later on down the track. Given the awkwardness of modding the amp, and me not really knowing anyone down here I'd trust with the job, I'm sharing Sacha's sentiment of just running an EQ pedal into the amp to work the high-end back in there.

Maybe instead of a an EQ pedal try running a 15 band graphic EQ in the loop. Pretty decent ones can be had for cheap anywhere because of their use in live sound and they'll give you much more control over the EQ than any pedal will.

I'm not too familiar with decent outboard graphics. What are some models I could look at which won't suck too much tone? I'd probably end up using them to de-junk the 6505 and JVM too.

Nice: Ashly GQ series
Nicer: Klark Teknik DN series

I'm not too familiar with decent outboard graphics. What are some models I could look at which won't suck too much tone? I'd probably end up using them to de-junk the 6505 and JVM too.

Ermz, I use a 31 band graphic in the loop of my 6505, its a very cheap unit, its a Tapco T-231. My ears are not very sensitive and I rarely achieve a good guitar tone but I was wondering if some one that knows what a 6505 should sound like could tell me if this reamp below has the tone sucked out of it. Its a very short clip, just 32 seconds, the sound you are hearing is direct from the mic. I sure would appreciate some expert advice because I don't know if I should continue using EQ in the loop or not.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2785995/5150-eq-loop-test-1.wav

^ I'm sorry I don't really have the expertise to hear it off the bat. I'd need an A/B comparison of the EQ in the loop, and then not there.

I'm thinking a parametric should do me. Mono. Until I get it, I can just use the EQ on my millennia to get what I need.

Btw, I just took the amp to a store and tried it alongside a JVM into a 1960A cab. The Hector was cool and vanilla... pretty boring and uninspiring in person, and the JVM just souded way deeper and more exciting. It's funny though, because you can hear those mid characteristics of the JVM which would make it fight for vocal space, whereas the Hector is just subdued... it's not particularly impressive by itself because it's waiting for the mix to fill it up. Very very interesting amp.

Also, the JVM hates EMGs, whereas the Hector seems to love them.