Standard Metal Mix (Laboga Mr Hector Amp) Need opinions

Im not a fan of the bass tone either and the whole mix sounds too dry for me. Especially the snare could use some more life, imo.

Wow, some very varying opinions here.
I don't know what advice to take haha. I agree with the bass tone, but I like the guitars and I only plan on minorly tweaking the drums at this point. I'm using ampeg SVX and the bass is programmed with SR5 rock bass, anyone have any good tips for getting a decent bass tone out of that? I think bass tones are the hardest thing for me to get right

I was messing around with putting some Waves Rbass on the bass and it seemed to improve it. Should I try this or should I just go back to the drawing board and dial in a new tone with Ampeg SVX? Does anyone have any good starting points for that amp, as well as compression etc? I think I had about 8 DB compression between two CLA 76 comps. With a bit of bass distortion and a limiter after

everything sounds kinda dry, not hearing the 3d organic tube amp vibe.......cool song btw!

Thanks for the compliment! Here's a new mix, I totally redid the bass following Ermz's Systematic Mixing Guide... I think it's much better. No changes to the drums or anything yet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Track 1 4 21 Bass Fix.mp3

Also, everyone keeps saying the whole thing sounds dry, what exactly do you mean? Like the drums need more verb or what?

I'd love to know what ppl think of the new bass in the mix I just put up.. also any other opinions about how I can make it less "dry" and "programmed" sounding are welcome :)

There is still some awkward fizz left in the guitar tone. It may not be your aesthetic, but I'd look to dull it down a touch! There are qualities in the raw tracks which I feel are missing here, in favor of some fairly abrasive higher mids.

There is still some awkward fizz left in the guitar tone. It may not be your aesthetic, but I'd look to dull it down a touch! There are qualities in the raw tracks which I feel are missing here, in favor of some fairly abrasive higher mids.

That's strange, there's only a very subtle eq going on with the guitars, subtractive eq of about less than 2DB. It's low passed at around 12 khz, maybe I could bring it down a bit more, but on the last page some of the dudes were saying it was lacking clarity. I know you normally go down to like 8 right? I'll try it out tomorrow and see how it sounds.

yeah i think your last mix sounded better but still has a midrange honkiness in there, the guitars also sound compressed,dont hear that mic'ed speaker movement and for the dryness add a little
reverb to the kick-snare i would say........you have quality sounds here its a matter of playing with the eq on the guitars and the overall eq on the mix itself...

yeah i think your last mix sounded better but still has a midrange honkiness in there, the guitars also sound compressed,dont hear that mic'ed speaker movement and for the dryness add a little
reverb to the kick-snare i would say........you have quality sounds here its a matter of playing with the eq on the guitars and the overall eq on the mix itself...

There's no compression on the guitars. There is a small amount of Waves SSL compression on the 2bus for glue. For the honkiness, you mean the bass right? I'll try to fix that. As for verb of the kick and snare, the snare's already being sent to verb, and I've never heard of use reverb on a kick in metal, wouldn't that muddy things up like crazy?

There's no compression on the guitars. There is a small amount of Waves SSL compression on the 2bus for glue. For the honkiness, you mean the bass right? I'll try to fix that. As for verb of the kick and snare, the snare's already being sent to verb, and I've never heard of use reverb on a kick in metal, wouldn't that muddy things up like crazy?

as for the honkiness i mean the midrange the guitars have, but its a matter of taste its not bad if thats what you want....it just seems the guitars sound
compressed i guess thats how the amp is and for the drums maybe a very little drum plate reverb on the kick and snare just to see how it sounds...

as for the honkiness i mean the midrange the guitars have, but its a matter of taste its not bad if thats what you want....it just seems the guitars sound
compressed i guess thats how the amp is and for the drums maybe a very little drum plate reverb on the kick and snare just to see how it sounds...

Would you say the kick and snare should be sent to the same aux with the plate verb on it? Have you ever done this in a metal mix before, or is this all theory, haha

Would you say the kick and snare should be sent to the same aux with the plate verb on it? Have you ever done this in a metal mix before, or is this all theory, haha
yes i've done it before...just test to see if it sound right in the mix.....yeah use the same plate verb aux for both kick and snare...its all about testing im not saying its the only way or the right way of doing it, but it works in some situations

Also should I have gclip or L1 limiter on the drum bus? There's Gclip on it now but it's not doing anything but catching the random errant peak

yes i've done it before...just test to see if it sound right in the mix.....yeah use the same plate verb aux for both kick and snare...its all about testing im not saying its the only way or the right way of doing it, but it works in some situations

I'll give it a shot, thanks!