Standard Metal Mix (Laboga Mr Hector Amp) Need opinions

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, looking for some opinions on this mix. It had these guitars reamped by Ermz with the Laboga Mr Hector amp. Today I decided to try putting Decapitator over the whole drum bus, but I think I might have to tone it down because I think it made them a bit too bassy. Anyway, here's a mix with and without Decap on drums for comparison. I also have RC Tube on every channel on both mixes. Any opinions on EQ and levels would be appreciated! Thanks guys

edit: latest mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2354806/Sneap Forum Mix help/Track 1 Mix 4 20 2012.mp3

Sounds fucking awesome, but guitars could use some more mids in the 1.5k area and some more presence, they sound a bit muffled to me, and bass could be brought up a little. BTW, what the holy fuck did you use for drums? They're my favorite part about this mix.

ummmm, i think the drums, the toms and kick in particular, could be brought down, just to even the mix out, at the moment it just needs a bit of together-ness, it all sounds very disjointed and clicky, maybe some more low end and some compression on the master, to just glue it all together.

guitar tone is pretty much spot on, really nice sound, just the mix needs work.

Sounds fucking awesome, but guitars could use some more mids in the 1.5k area and some more presence, they sound a bit muffled to me, and bass could be brought up a little. BTW, what the holy fuck did you use for drums? They're my favorite part about this mix.

Thanks! The drums are all Slate, just mixed some samples up. Real overheads and snare is 50/50 blend of real snare and slate samples. Like I said in the OP they also have Decapitator on the drum bus, not sure if you like the first or second mix better- the second one does not have Decapitator on it. I agree about the guitars and bass, I'll fix that in the next mix. Thanks again for the tips!

Oh, forgot to mention: i like the second clip much more than the first, it's alot more defined and inteligeble (or how the fuck it's suposed to be spelled).

ummmm, i think the drums, the toms and kick in particular, could be brought down, just to even the mix out, at the moment it just needs a bit of together-ness, it all sounds very disjointed and clicky, maybe some more low end and some compression on the master, to just glue it all together.

guitar tone is pretty much spot on, really nice sound, just the mix needs work.

I kind of like where the kick is at but I will automate it in the final mix so that it has a bit of lp/hp on it when double bass comes in. The toms will be brought down, it's just when I put Decapitator on them it brought them out in the mix way more.

Oh, forgot to mention: i like the second clip much more than the first, it's alot more defined and inteligeble (or how the fuck it's suposed to be spelled).

Ok cool, that's the one I kind of like more too. That's without Decapitator on the drums. I'll probably decrease the effect or remove it completely

sounds pretty badass man. I do think the drums are owning the mix like said....the kick and snare is only a bit too much..the toms could use a decent cut though. But the guitars sound really good man. And with a little balance the whole track will sound great

sounds pretty badass man. I do think the drums are owning the mix like said....the kick and snare is only a bit too much..the toms could use a decent cut though. But the guitars sound really good man. And with a little balance the whole track will sound great

Thanks! Yeah, I'll definitely be lowering those drums a bit. What do you think as far as eqing the guitar? There's only really a hp lp on here, I'm not quite sure where to cut or boost it.

Also did you listen to the first or second mix? I think the drums sound a little more controlled in the second mix, without Decapitator on

not a fan of the bass at all...
somethings strange with the overall compression too...
drums sound very programmed

man, i am just not a fan of the Mr. Hector...... it's got a pretty cool/interesting character but the mids are so strange and the gain stages seem very, very DRY....this will give you tightness and clarity but sacrifice that 'big' thing that amps like a Kracken, Recto, 5150, etc, etc give you...

Mix is..... well, it needs some work. drums do sound very programmed. ditch the drum buss all together and try to get them drums jiving without bussing them all together.

after you achieve THAT, then you can send the shells to a buss if need be and use something like L1 to tame those peaks....

the mix lacks any movement or dynamic (as subtle as they are in metal, still very important).

when i listen to this all I can really discern is what the drums are doing. of course i can hear the GTR and BASS just fine but it's like the drums are distracting me from enjoying them...

Just IMO, hope it help and remember; YMMV!