Want your opinion about a Dual Recto

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
Hey fellaz!

I'm about to buy an new amp and I dunno yet what to choose... 5150, 6505, Dual Recto?? I already own a Savage 120 so I guess a 5150 would be a good choice in any case...

Anyway I can buy an 'old' Dual Recto 2 channels. The amp has not be played for a long time and all the tubes need to be changed. Also I think a check up would be necessary. The owner doesn't really know how much he wants for it and I don't know what exact model it is, I have no idea of its price...

Could some of you give me a reasonable price for this (as if you would buy/sell the shit???) I think 800€ would be ok, uh?

Here are some pics of the beast...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36870048/DUAL RECTO.zip

My vote goes to a 5150/6505 (which is the same amp with a new name). Then you'd have two pretty different sounds, while the Recto is - imho - similar to the Recto. Not "very close" or the same sound of course, but it goes in a similar direction while the 5150 has a different character, more raw / brutal / honest.. can't really describe it properly.

Yeah that was my first idea... And we can find some 5150 as second hand in pretty good condition for a few bucks ;) Thanks for the advice.
And what's your opinion about a price for this Recto?

Huh I don't really know the prices for used Rectis tbh. I just looked on Ebay (germany and austria) and the last two Dual Rectifiers went for 1050€ (2channel) and 1100€ (3channel). A lot of people like the "old" two channel versions better than the newer ones so the price is pretty much the same if it's in good condition. Judging from the pictures I'd say it looks good. So yeah.. my guess is anything between 800 and 1000€ is a good offer, some people will probably pay 1200 or more but that's just ridiculous imo.

If you can afford it, buy both the Dual Recti (because the 2channels aren't that often on the used market) AND a Peavey 5150 / 6505 :D

Well i got both. I bought the 5150 before the Rectifier. But that is more about the price then one is being better then the other. Both are solid and versitale. Both are reallyh useable for rock and metal. Not the greatest lead tones on either one of them, better cleans on the mesa.

Thanks man. As many of my favorite albums was made with 5150, and this amp must give very good results with the Savage AND as Mesa is more expensive, I think I'm gonna get a 5150.. This opportunity at 1200€ (5150+Engl 412) sounds pretty good to me ;)

After buying a DualRec, I now know for sure that I don't want one ;-(. I am still using my Bugera 6260 (think "5150") all the time. It (the DualRec) records very well but that's about it. I'll try it for some reamping sessions before I let it go.

BTW does 6260 sound really like 5150?? I saw threads here with almost every opinion! Honestly, I don't think it does but I'd not be surprised that this amp sounds killer. I myself recently bought a 333xl. After a quick test, I can say that it's not awesome but it has something good in the belly. It is sold as the copy of JSX. It actually has not the same sound, but it's still good.

I had a Tremoverb for a while, I just couldn't deal with the way the high end is. It's just fizzy and unmusical sounding to me, so I ended up getting rid of it for a 5150.