Dark Terror vs Dual Terror

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
Hey

I'm still looking for an amp to get a different tone from my Savage 120. 6505, Dual Recto can be good options but are quite expensive.

I've never owned nor played on an Orange amp and I don't have any possibility to try them so I can judge them on vids only for now.
I've listened some great stuff from both Dark and Dual Terror. This last one has the Tiny channel + Fat channel (that I don't know actually) They're more affordable than a 6505 or a Dual Recto which is perfect for me :D

I saw some comments saying Tiny Terror was pretty fizzy (imo Ola's vid shows a killer amp...) I'd tend to chose the Dark Terror but the only "bad" point it seems to have is less versatile than the other one. Maybe I'm wrong????
I'd like to know what you feel about these amps, what you like / don't like and why.

Oh, it's for studio use only.

Thanks!

I still haven't found a Dark Terror to try out. My Dual Terror though does 2 things well. The TT channel is great for a kind of jangly indy rock sound, not quite comparable to an AC30, but that's the closest I can think of at the moment. The Fat channel is pure fat 70's Black Sabbath/The Sword-esque style sludge. It's beautiful. For what it does I love it. But that's all it really does. There's no effects loop. It doesn't clean up well. And the tone knob takes it from a big blanket thrown over it to a little bright and spanky, but don't expect to have any real control.

Don't use Ola's mixed videos as a guide to amps. Watch the play-thru's. He's too good at what he does.

I'd go for a Dark Terror over a Dual ANY day. Used to have a Tiny Terror and found the single tone knob to be way too limiting. The shape control on the Dark Terror will give you a MUCH greater scope for metal tones and the fx loop will allow you to throw in an eq pedal if you want more control.

Thanks gentlemen!
Trevoire, I knew you used to play on the Tiny one so it's good to have your opinion about it.
The Fat channel looks really interesting too though it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
As I'm searching a metal amp, the Dark Terror would be a better choice...

If somebody has a different point of view, he's welcome!

I think it's becouse of the increased headroom of the dual terror, but it can provide a lot more "punch" that the tiny terror can not

haven't played the dark terror though, but from the youtube vidz it's not my cup of tea, the fat channel of the dual terror is where my money's at

I had the same dilemma this last week. I wanted to get the Dark Terror and did a bit of research as you have done into all of the tiny terror range, I bought the Dual Terror today :kickass: Just because I was after something a little more versatile in tone as i've already got 2 beastly Peavey amps for ze mettullz, and i'm going to be recording some indie, rocky and punk bands. I reckon you'll be happier with the Dark Terror for what you're after.

Thanks man for your comment, it helps!
I was between the Dual Terror and the Dark Terror with a clear preference for this last one so you make my feeling stronger...

I will let the night guide me instead of making an impulsive purchase right now ahah!

Hi guys

A buddy talked to me about a brand new 'little' Mesa Boogie amp. 30 watts (with switchable power output), 2 channels... Any info around there?
Still interested in the Dark Terror tho ;) and maybe an Orange or Engl 2x12" cab........

Salut mec!

I found some amps that look interesting. I know no one of them, I just looked on Thomann webstore so dunno if they worth it, how they sound, etc. but it may give ideas! Anyhow, I would be interested in having some feedback on these because some of them just seem to be really cool (can you say comparison?). Here you go!

BLACKSTAR HT-5RH HEAD
BLACKSTAR HT STUDIO 20 HEAD
HAYDEN MOFO 30 HEAD
LABOGA THE BEAST HEAD
TRAYNOR DH40H IRONHORSE
EGNATER TWEAKER 15 HEAD
KRANK REVOLUTION JR PRO
ORANGE THUNDER 30H
VOX NIGHTTRAIN (not so metal but...)

edit: HUGHES&KETTNER TUBEMEISTER 18 HEAD

and maybe an Orange or Engl 2x12" cab........

I own an Orange 4x12 PPC loaded with V30's and HIGHLY reccomend their cabs to anyone. Now I may get slated for this next comment but IMHO it's just as good as a Mesa but a little cheaper. It's solid and it's built like a tank! I also got mine in black at no extra cost as I can't be doing with a bright orange cab. The PPC212C is definately worth looking at: http://www.orangeamps.com/ppc-212-speaker-cab/

Salut mec!

I found some amps that look interesting. I know no one of them, I just looked on Thomann webstore so dunno if they worth it, how they sound, etc. but it may give ideas! Anyhow, I would be interested in having some feedback on these because some of them just seem to be really cool (can you say comparison?). Here you go!

BLACKSTAR HT-5RH HEAD
BLACKSTAR HT STUDIO 20 HEAD
HAYDEN MOFO 30 HEAD
LABOGA THE BEAST HEAD
TRAYNOR DH40H IRONHORSE
EGNATER TWEAKER 15 HEAD
KRANK REVOLUTION JR PRO
ORANGE THUNDER 30H
VOX NIGHTTRAIN (not so metal but...)

I'm guessing the mesa recto lunchbox head isn't in the cards but surely the Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18 should have made this list?

Added to my previous post ;)

Yeah the H&K would sound great... The Mesa TA15 is definitely much more expensive.
This thread should be renamed by "LunchBox Amps", there are so many awesome stuff! I personally would be curious about the H&K, Krank and the Dark Terror ones. Is Laboga Beast Head that good?

I own an Orange 4x12 PPC loaded with V30's and HIGHLY reccomend their cabs to anyone. Now I may get slated for this next comment but IMHO it's just as good as a Mesa but a little cheaper. It's solid and it's built like a tank! I also got mine in black at no extra cost as I can't be doing with a bright orange cab. The PPC212C is definately worth looking at: http://www.orangeamps.com/ppc-212-speaker-cab/

It's totally different to a Mesa, soundwise.

Quality is top notch, but they sound VERY different.

Shure,
the orange is "smoother" in the top end and "woolier" in the upper mids and a little bit "cloudy" in the deeper mids compared to the Mesa.
Not saying that this is a bad thing or somthing like that but if you're after the Mesa-cab-sound you should get a Mesa.

Owned a PPC212 for many years and I always struggled to get the top end right(for me).

yup, it's a rock bitch.

But keep all the djent-Bands in your mind, they seem to like the cab too(ok, fanboism following excepted).

The cab is awesome, but if you're chasing the same tones like most members here the Mesa will threat you better.

I would've loved to keep the Orange(for slaving amps and stuff) but money, you know;)

All a little ot, sry

Got bored very quickly of my Dual Terror, ended up selling it. I doubt I would personally find the Dark Terror any more exciting. I'd be more interested in the mini Recto.

It's totally different to a Mesa, soundwise.

Quality is top notch, but they sound VERY different.

Yeah I do agree, quality was what I was on about. I like the Orange sound because I'm not after the same tone as everyone I want it to sound as clean as possible, a little chunkier with less fizzyness (not saying no fizz) more like the new Sylosis album.... and I don't play ina Djent band :p ;)

I'm also gonna be getting a bit of work for rock and indie bands so it was a good choice for me.

As I never played on an Orange cab, it's cool to know these characteristics. Need to try!

About amps, I was first on Orange stuff but some of the others look like very good ones too!!! I'd like to know more about this Krank and the Laboga especially. (the Traynor is a good amp for blues and stuff but not for metal) I saw some cool vids on the Blackstar studio 20. Powerful and versatile I think.

500€ approx. is my budget so the mini Dual recto is out :(