Want to buy a guitar amp - Need your opinion!

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Well, I have an Engl Savage which I use pretty often, a Peavey 6505, a Marshall VS8100 and a EVH 5153. I'd like to add a Rectifier but these are expensive as hell even on the used market. So to buy one I have to sell another one...

The 6505 is easy to find at good prices but I want to keep it in my rig as I love it for many stuff. The 5153 is great but I finally don't use it very often so this is the one I'd sell to get a Recto. Does it sounds like a good idea to you? I tend to prefer the Dual but the single would be nice as well... What Recto would you pick up? Studio use only and I have a Recto 2x12 cab.

Thanks.

with the amps you already have, I´d get no Recto at all short of a Roadster, since they are the most versatile of their family imo. But goddammit, they are ridiculously expensive.
If you do buy one of the smaller Rectos, chances are you´re gonna miss your 5153 some time

You can find Triple Rectifiers a litle cheaper sometimes too. I just picked up an older 2 channel triple for around $800. 3 channel duals can be had for a little under a grand pretty often. The highly regarded Dual Tremoverb model ive seen go for $800-$900 pretty regularly.

I dont think the 5153 is as gratifying to play in person but for recording its much easier to get a good tone out of than any Mesa I have tried.

Been GASing harrrrrd for the new JP-2C......supposedly they are killer.

MESA-Boogie-JP2C-limited-hero.jpg

Oh yeah Brian, this one seems insanely good but I'd need to sell an amp plus one leg or something!

Why all the Rectihate? With a tubescreamer (drive to 0) it can be quite tight for rhythm guitar, too. And I feel it has the overall richer, more harmonic sound compared to the omnipresent 5150/6505. Many, many great guitar sounds were recorded using a Rectifier (listen to all the Jens Bogren produced albums - he uses them quite often).