Opeth tone on Dual Recto 3-channel?

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
I'm trying to get close to Opeth's tone on Deliverance. I really love the distorted tone on this album, and I play a similar style of music so this tone would really be great for me to achieve. I'm managed to come somewhat close using Ch. 3 in the Modern setting with Bold and Silicon Diode and my Bad Monkey pedal, but I've got a ways to go. Has anyone been able to come close to this tone using a Recto? I know they used a Recto to record a lot of the rhythms on this album, and it definitely sounds like Recto to my ears.

My settings are:
Ch. 3 Modern
Bold
Diode, although Tube Recto may be the better route
Bass maxed (only because of my Monkey settings...see below)
Mids 11:00
Treble 12:00-12:30
Presence 8-9:00
Gain 12:00

Bad Monkey
Level full
Bass all the way down
Treble 11:00
Gain all the way down

From the Opeth website: they used Laney and a Triple rec, but to my ears it sounds like the Laney is dominant, supplemented with the orange channel on the triple rectifier.

Complete list of equipment used for the recording:
DELIVERANCE + DAMNATION, Nacksving & Studio Fredman:

Equipment section:
Electric guitars: PRS Custom 24, Gibson Les Paul Custom & Dunlop picks
Acoustic guitars: CF Martin 00016GT, Takamine 12Str
Bass guitars: Fender Jazz MM edition & Dadario 045 strings
Drums: Premier Signia Marquis & Sabian cymbals & Premier sticks
Amplifiers: Laney VH100L, Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier with 4/12 Laney cabinet
Strings: Dadario 010 electrics, Martin Phosphor 12str, Dr.Thomastik 011

Keep a healthy bit of mids in there, and lower the gain.

Try turning the presence completely off, and the treble up (looks like you already found this trick!)

Try using channel 2, instead of 3, and try out the Vintage mode while you're at it.

Ditch the bad monkey, dial the bass to about 11:30 or so. Engage Bad Monkey - use it to tighten up the low end, not suck it out and put it back in later.