Need help with my Recto Amp Sim

LePou

Apr 29, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Recto amp sim and need your help. I have a preliminary working version that sounds like this :

MetaltasticEMG81(LeCTO)

I used Metaltastic EMG81 DI tracks with Catharsis awesome4pulse and s-preshigh IR. Neutral settings on the amp sim.

I know my sim is not accurate and I would like to improve it. So, what I'm looking for is a 2 Channel Recto owner who's kind enough to record some stuff for me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read in the Recto user guide that it is possible to record the signal going out of the preamp (through the effect loop) and also the signal going out of the preamp + power amp through the slave jack.

So, if I'm right about the recording options of the Recto, here is what I'm looking for :

A recording of both outputs (preamp and preamp+poweramp (slave)) for each channel (except fot the clean) as well as the DI track used. Let's say that all settings on the amp are neutral.

Drop me a PM if you are willing to help me.
Thanks

LePou

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a Recto amp sim and need your help. I have a preliminary working version that sounds like this :

MetaltasticEMG81(LeCTO)

I used Metaltastic EMG81 DI tracks with Catharsis awesome4pulse and s-preshigh IR. Neutral settings on the amp sim.

I know my sim is not accurate and I would like to improve it. So, what I'm looking for is a 2 Channel Recto owner who's kind enough to record some stuff for me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read in the Recto user guide that it is possible to record the signal going out of the preamp (through the effect loop) and also the signal going out of the preamp + power amp through the slave jack.

So, if I'm right about the recording options of the Recto, here is what I'm looking for :

A recording of both outputs (preamp and preamp+poweramp (slave)) for each channel (except fot the clean) as well as the DI track used. Let's say that all settings on the amp are neutral.

Drop me a PM if you are willing to help me.
Thanks

LePou

That definitely sounds like it's getting close, especially the mid voicing. I have a 3 ch Recto so I prob can't be of much help. Let me know.

HAHA Lepou...Damn that just don't sound right...I need help with my Recto! HAHAHA Good job you said amp sim after it..
KM

Rectifier in modern is an interaction between preamp and poweramp;)
Ask Marcus for all theory, english isn't my native language and he speak so well about this:lol:

Edit: slave out is simply an other preamp out, not a mix between pre and poweramp;)

Thanks onqel and KM (you need to read the entire title... don't miss the last words... LOL!!).
Hey Brett I'm gonna take a look at the 3 channels schematic to see how different it is from the 2 channels and be back to you.

LePou

Rectifier in modern is an interaction between preamp and poweramp;)
Ask Marcus for all theory, english isn't my native language and he speak so well about this:lol:

Edit: slave out is simply an other preamp out, not a mix between pre and poweramp;)

I thought the Rectifier term comes from the fact that the Recto clips so hard on both ends of the wave that it's almost a rectifier ;)

LePou: I just wanted to say that I hope you are modeling the sound of a Recto head as the preamp and poweramp interaction is really where the magic of these amps happens. The preamp sound alone doesn't really give the Recto sound, yanno?

Yeah, the way a Rectifier works in modern mode is that the power amp doesn't supply negative feedback (which dampens the highs) to the preamp, but rather the preamp signal is low-passed; not sure how well this could be implemented to work with standard impulses, but certainly worth a try IMO! :D

As for the clips, yeah, I can't really help you with those anymore :( But FWIW, I'd actually prefer a model of the 3 ch. Rectifier, so Brett, my vote is it's clip time :D I would experiment with the FX mix knob when recording from the FX send though, just to see if it makes any difference in sound (I know the FX mix knob technically should only control how much of the wet signal coming in from the FX return is mixed in with the unaffected signal in the parallel loop, but ya never know how they have it wired up in there, and IME the signal from the FX send is actually fuzzier and less "preamp-like" than the signal from the slave out, though that's probably because it's low-passed and the Slave out has the power amp adding the brightness)

Dude, Marcus, that fucking avatar makes me laugh and gives me the creeps at the same time :lol:

LePou: I just wanted to say that I hope you are modeling the sound of a Recto head as the preamp and poweramp interaction is really where the magic of these amps happens. The preamp sound alone doesn't really give the Recto sound, yanno?

According to the schematic I have, all the channels (apart from the clean) use the exact same preamp tube section. The differences between each channel occur at the tone stack and the interaction (negative feedback) with the power amp. So, I'm aware that the interaction with the power amp is a critical part to get the recto tone. And that's why I would like to have some clips to better understand what's going on.

@analgrinder333 : Are you sure ? I don't want to argue with you but again according to the schematic, the slave output is connected after the output transformer, next to the speaker jacks. Anyone can confirm this ? Marcus ?

LePou

I had always thought that the slave out just came from the preamp, but I'm pretty sure Steve/53Crew on here also confirmed from looking at the schem that it comes from after the power amp! (maybe the schem is intentionally wrong to confuse people, but I doubt they'd intentionally change something as basic and boring as the Slave out schem :lol: ) And yeah, it is closer to the center of the chassis that the FX send, right next to the speaker outs (that never occurred to me until now actually)

No problem dude, happy to help! :headbang: And now that I think of it, IMO the best way to get the Recto sound as close as possible and still have it work with most impulses (made with traditional power amps) would probably be to design your ampsim with a built-in power amp element (but not providing negative feedback), and then have the sound coming out of the amp sim be as close as possible to the sound coming out of the slave-out of a real Rectifier (preamp and power amp). Assuming this can be accomplished of course! :D