Mesa Mark V test/ Rose of Sharyn DI's

mva801

Nov 18, 2009
So I'm just experimenting with some heavier sounds out of my Mark V. Haven't gotten a chance to use it on a metal band yet, and I'd like to see what I can get out of it.

Signal Chain - ProFire2626 > Radial Xamp > TS9 > MarkV > Mesa Rectifier 2x12 > SM57

Any suggestions? I might also be into doing a free re-amp or two just to mess around with it a bit more.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22572061/Rose of Sharyn test.mp3

Just barely got dropbox so hopefully that works...

Sounds just like my mark iv... Like a big fat piece of feces. Love it in the room, hate it for recording. It sounds like it was mic'd up inside a cardboard box, and my IV sounds like it's mic'd up inside a cardboard box (i know thats a stupid comparison but that is just what comes to mind). Something in the low mids with this amp just doesnt sound good to me.

Try turning down the 750Hz slider on the amp more.
You'll still have problems with the 2x12 causing boxiness (just an inherent quality of 2x12 cabs), but it should help.
Because the guitars have so much mids currently, it's making them sit above the mix, causing the backing track to sound smaller

Sounds just like my mark iv... Like a big fat piece of feces. Love it in the room, hate it for recording. It sounds like it was mic'd up inside a cardboard box, and my IV sounds like it's mic'd up inside a cardboard box (i know thats a stupid comparison but that is just what comes to mind). Something in the low mids with this amp just doesnt sound good to me.

Man you guys really know how to describe the way things sound. How in the fuck did you come up with the cardboard box thing? Because that's exactly the way it sounds. I can't stand the tone IMO, it really sounds like... it was recorded inside a cardboard box.

Alright you guys have about the same concerns I do. My 750Hz slider is about all the way down already.... Mids knob is also almost all the way down. And I even still pulled out some more mids in pro tools.

I have issues with this amp trying to get a nice clean bite in the top end without it getting fizzy as well. I'll try and re-do it tomorrow and see if I can massage it a little more.

I'm still holding out hope for this amp for metal tones.... Ola seemed to get a pretty good sound with it and with a Mark IV. I think it'll just take quite a bit of tinkering....

It's the lower mids giving the trouble I believe. Try putting the 240 slider all the way down, and leave the 750 higher. I find when the 750 is all the way down the tone on the amp really suffers. Today I also put the 2khz all the way down and it seemed to help with the SLAP in the ears, I didn't record it so I don't know if it will help. My eq looks like a W now, but honestly it constantly changes. I've had this amp for over 4 years and I still havent figured it out, so good luck!

And I have no idea where "cardboard box" tone came from, maybe I made it up but it's how I've always perceived the sound of this amp.