Meshuggah - Alive DVD

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Anyone planning on getting it? Or has anyone already got it? US release is tomorrow (2/9) and i'm thinking of picking this one up for sure.

Judging by the sound from the youtube clips... it sounds freaking incredible. They sound so tight live!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone planning on getting it? Or has anyone already got it? US release is tomorrow (2/9) and i'm thinking of picking this one up for sure.

Judging by the sound from the youtube clips... it sounds freaking incredible. They sound so tight live!

Most DVD's now a day's aren't even live sound, probably overdubbed to death.

I don't know why, but I find the idea of a Meshuggah live DVD to be a bit weird. I mean the guys are RIDICULOUSLY tight but I don't see what the DVD has over any of the studio songs. Other bands change stuff up, muck around, create a different atmosphere live but that doesn't seem to be Meshuggah's style. I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the band so maybe that's it :/ No denying the talent, tho, and Haake is one of my favourite drummers.

I don't know why, but I find the idea of a Meshuggah live DVD to be a bit weird. I mean the guys are RIDICULOUSLY tight but I don't see what the DVD has over any of the studio songs. Other bands change stuff up, muck around, create a different atmosphere live but that doesn't seem to be Meshuggah's style. I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of the band so maybe that's it :/ No denying the talent, tho, and Haake is one of my favourite drummers.

Exactly what I was thinking, it doesn't sound like something played live at all.

Of all the Meshuggah bootlegs I've seen I don't think there's been one where Tomas didn't fuck up on Cyanide Christ. He's openly stated he hates playing that song just because of how fucking hard it is. :p

What's the difference to the albums? no click and an actual performance. This is actually Meshuggah playing, not a Meshuggah song written and manufactured around a grid.

Since Chaosphere, starting with 'Nothing'.. nothing that they've released has been rehearsed. Apart from 'I' which was actually pieced together from jamming/somewhat improvised tracking sessions.

'Stengah' in that vid posted is the best I've ever heard it. Slays the album version.

^ Agree
Which is why I love Paramore's live album, flat and sharp notes all over the place from Hayley. Just fucken MAKES it.

Yeah I noticed in this video, when He starts doing the lead at 1:05 there's definitely TWO rhythm guitar tracks going on in the background

You may be right, but when Fredrik switches to lead, he also switches Martens guitar to stereo with a delay to give it the stereo image. They have been doing this since they were using POD pros. That's why they had several of them each, instead of switching patches they switched units, to avoid the delay when switching patches.

They're not just a sick band, they know their game :)

What's the difference to the albums? no click and an actual performance. This is actually Meshuggah playing, not a Meshuggah song written and manufactured around a grid.

Since Chaosphere, starting with 'Nothing'.. nothing that they've released has been rehearsed. Apart from 'I' which was actually pieced together from jamming/somewhat improvised tracking sessions.

'Stengah' in that vid posted is the best I've ever heard it. Slays the album version.

Both Nothing and ObZen is rehearsed. Only Catch 33 was recorded that way, because it was a lot easier given the nature of the album/song. And the difference is clearly audible, even with Haakes insanely tight playing.