Meshuggah - Alive DVD

I guarantee you they never played anything from Nothing as a band before they made the album.
obZen.. I'm not so sure of because i haven't been paying attention in such a fanboyish way for years. I'd put money on it being roughly the same deal though.
(whoever writes the songs writes/programs the drums basically the way they end up sounding on the album. "here you go tomas.. new songs.. learn!" "thanks a lot")

It doesn't bother me, just pointing out that this live production represents the band in a completely different way to their albums.
Personally I do really appreciate hearing just them doing great pure performances! and produced so well!

Live dvds are getting way overproduced imo
They are, but I still really like the sound of this Meshuggah one.

I've seen other DVD's that are FAR too over produced in a way that makes it seem like a studio/album recording with some slight background noise.

I really like live DVD's that have a certain raw energy to them that seems to be ignored/overlooked these days. The Nevermore live DVD is awesome, but the fact that Loomis overdubbed a lot of his solos kind of bugs me because You're not getting the performance how it was on the night. I know the whole idea is "well it is more about trying to create something enjoyable to watch/listen to, rather than trying to capture a 100% accurate portrayal of the band on that particular night", but stuff like that just makes me feel slightly...cheated? in a way. I dunno, I'm probably just over thinking it.

One of my favourite ever live videos/DVD's is Metallica live in Seattle in 1989. The drums are noisey as hell and everything sounds messy and raw, but it is one of the most energetic and unbelievable live performances/videos I've ever seen as a result. I absolutely love that performance, and also the other one they released a few years later from a San Diego show.

Having said all that, i like how this Meshuggah DVD looks and I really like the band and I'll probably get it. :lol: