Meshuggah, Cynic, The Faceless at HoB in Chicago this Sunday!!

Saw this last night and .....

The Faceless - need a different singer and they would be a good band

Cynic - nuff said

Meshuggah - boring left after three songs

Best tech band show I've seen in a long time...if not ever. Cynic & Meshuggah were fuckin incredible!! Cynic was flawless...they played for just short of an hour & the setlist was a perfect mix of old & new!!!

Meshuggah...well, what can I say...for me, they have without a doubt solidified themselves as the masters of "math" metal...no one can even touch them for what they do. And to put it simply...it's sometimes the notes (and drumbeats) you DON'T play that makes it GREAT!! Way too many bands out there that over play...too consumed with complexity & self indulgence...NOT the case with the almighty Meshuggah!!

I have yet to hear another "math" metal band who's rhythms are that crazy, but YET, you can still nod your head (tap your foot) to each song & almost the entire song even if it's the first time you've heard it!! The key & backbone of Meshuggah...Tomas Haake! :headbang:

Oh, and another incredible part...Meshuggah was actually quiet. Their sound guy is a fuckin genius!! If it were too loud it would've sounded like nothing but a wall of noise...instead, you could hear everything perfectly! :kickass:

Now that I think about it more & consider everything...definitely the best tech metal show I've seen!! True prog at it's best!!

Thanks for the review Rob! *shakes head*, bummer I couldn't be there. I always am appreciative of show that has a sound person that knows what he/she is doing...especially when the nature of a band's performance depends on it. Maybe next time...

Oh, and another incredible part...Meshuggah was actually quiet.

Yeah, it was freakishly quiet at the very beginning. It quickly got louder once the first song really kicked in, but I couldn't tell if that was a stylistic choice, or if their soundman intentionally started 'em out at the minimum and then worked upward from there.

The weird part was that the soundboard was actually down on the floor, in front of the normal sound/light booth. I've never seen that at HoB before, so yeah, they must be some picky bastards about their sound! At first I was a bit miffed that they were taking up that valuable floor space at a sold-out show, but I guess it was worth it for the quality sound.

Neil

Yeah, it was freakishly quiet at the very beginning. It quickly got louder once the first song really kicked in, but I couldn't tell if that was a stylistic choice, or if their soundman intentionally started 'em out at the minimum and then worked upward from there.

The weird part was that the soundboard was actually down on the floor, in front of the normal sound/light booth. I've never seen that at HoB before, so yeah, they must be some picky bastards about their sound! At first I was a bit miffed that they were taking up that valuable floor space at a sold-out show, but I guess it was worth it for the quality sound.

Neil

It's definitely planned...and it's genius. They were quiet the last time I saw them as well...when they opened for Tool at the Allstate. Wouldn't be surprise if that strategy has greatly contributed to gaining so many cross-over fans.

More bands of this aggressive type should learn from them!!

Yes, they played Bleed and it was incredible. They didn't fall off that bitch of a rhythm once. :kickass:

I was there too and that song live was flawless, my other favorite song by them is New Millennium Cyanide Christ which was awesome too.

I got really lucky though, because my friend and I went to the show with no tickets, and it was sold out, so we decided we would stay there to listen to Cynic, since the sound was pretty good at least. But one of the security women people told us that she would let is in once her boss left, so we got in for free. Best experience with any sort of venue security yet lol.