Meshuggah

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
Has anyone heard Meshuggah, from Sweden?

I just downloaded (and listened to) three tracks off of their album "Destroy Erase Improve" and, uhm. This is something insane. :)

The drummer must have the best coordination capability I've ever heard. If you thought some Pantera's riffs are complex or played in an odd rhythm, check out Meshuggah. Mind-boggling. :)

Satori, the insanely technical jazz drummer in you might like them, or find them intriguing in the least.

Any other bands with similar... uh.. composers / members addicted to heavy drugs? :p

Meshuggah are great... I am a BIG fan.

SUFFER IN TRUUUUUUUUUTH!!!!

If you thought some Pantera's riffs are complex or played in an odd rhythm

WHAAAAT!!??? Pantera?? They are FAAAAR from complex and odd??? Jesus... ! Go and download some Spastic Ink and Spiral Architect if you want odd.

Sheesh.

Originally posted by Trapped
Pantera?? They are FAAAAR from complex and odd

Yeah, that's what I said. (Well, not exactly, but anyway... :heh: )

I never claimed Pantera to be complex. Don't be putting words into my mouth. :p

I love MESHUGGAH

I love the way they progressed. I was surprised at how old they are, the band that is. Their first albums sound like Metallica, but are good.

But destroy, Erase Improve and Chaosphere ARE FUCKING AMAZING. FUCKING AMAZING.

I love the complexity, I love the timing and presicion.

Does anyone know about the theory of their time signatures, etc. like how they might overlay 5/8 over 4/4 at a different tempo etc.

It's great stuff. I heard a rumor long ago that tyhey are recording a new album. But I have heard nothing more. Maybe they have dissapeared, but I hope they come back, they rock.

I like Meshuggah a lot, I used to be a lot more into them than I am now. I think you will find their music is not very timeless tho. They will fade off your playing list to the point where you never listen to them. They are not that complex, they use gimmicky sounds that may make it seem that way. A more technical Pantera if you will, but I like Pantera better. I am not saying they suck so don't bash me....it's great stuff for when you're pissed or want to work out, not much more though. Future Breed machine is best song.

BTW.....as far as them not having any new stuff....didn't their lead man go to "System of a Down"? I think so, now there's a band that I AM SAYING sucks, and really really bad too. <Grin>

Originally posted by Metal88
I like Meshuggah a lot, I used to be a lot more into them than I am now. I think you will find their music is not very timeless tho. They will fade off your playing list to the point where you never listen to them. They are not that complex, they use gimmicky sounds that may make it seem that way. A more technical Pantera if you will, but I like Pantera better. I am not saying they suck so don't bash me....it's great stuff for when you're pissed or want to work out, not much more though. Future Breed machine is best song.

BTW.....as far as them not having any new stuff....didn't their lead man go to "System of a Down"? I think so, now there's a band that I AM SAYING sucks, and really really bad too. <Grin>

Eh?

Eh? Huh? Heh?

Eh? huh? UH? Heh? oh? eh? Heh? Huh? Ert? Meh? Blerg?

Blurg????

Blip!

I read an interview with one of them and he said they were recording a new album and trying out some new 8 string guitars that they are gona use.

I think Meshuggah are awesome.

Maniacal, insane, in-your-face, non-stop brutal bashing : that's how I feel when I listen to them. When I first heard them a couple of years back - I heard Future Breed Machine, and that's all it took for me to love them. They are very good at what they do.

Originally posted by Metal88
Was this a joke gone horribly wrong? System of a Down asked Meshuggah to tour with them but Meshuggah declined. That is all.

Ah......was no joke, I heard word of mouth System of a Down started as a project of one of the Messhuggah guys, looking like that ain't true huh? <shrug> Anyhow System of a Down is the most appropriate name any band has chosen for themselves aside from "Garbage" Hehehe.

Meshuggah are an amazing band. I believe I first heard Future Breed Machine and was totally hooked. These guys are so intense. I wish I could have seen them open for Tool. That would have been one hell of a show. :eek: