Meshuggah

Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
I love MESHUGGAH

I love the way they progressed. I was surprised at how old they are, the band that is. Their first albums sound like Metallica, but are good.

But destroy, Erase Improve and Chaosphere ARE FUCKING AMAZING. FUCKING AMAZING.

I love the complexity, I love the timing and presicion.

Does anyone know about the theory of their time signatures, etc. like how they might overlay 5/8 over 4/4 at a different tempo etc.

It's great stuff. I heard a rumor long ago that tyhey are recording a new album. But I have heard nothing more. Maybe they have dissapeared, but I hope they come back, they rock.

They don't have the tempothing as you said, "just" different timings over another. Like this (oen riff of my own):

||26/16 | 26/16 | 28/16
26/16 | 26/16 | 28/16
26/16 | 26/16 | 26/16|18/16||

This goes out evenly over 16bars of 4/4. There are more easier versions of this. The principle is a odd time signature then a "fit"-piece to make the whole shit go out evenly on i.e. 4/4 .... or why not do it like me? I have the bass, drums & guitar play the odd riff above... the drums also plays 4/4... then I have 3 leadguitars playing in 3/4 =)

You ain´t heard nothing yet. Check out The Dillinger Escape Plan! That´s what I call sick, twisted, technical music. It´s some kind of hardcore/grindcore/metal with totally insane jazz segments. Check them out if you want some really crazy and technical music.
Or if you want it heavy and technical, but not so extreme as The Dillinger Escape Plan, check out Burnt By The Sun. Awesome band too.

Originally posted by svenske kocken
You ain´t heard nothing yet. Check out The Dillinger Escape Plan! That´s what I call sick, twisted, technical music. It´s some kind of hardcore/grindcore/metal with totally insane jazz segments. Check them out if you want some really crazy and technical music.
Or if you want it heavy and technical, but not so extreme as The Dillinger Escape Plan, check out Burnt By The Sun. Awesome band too.

I heard of dillinger escape plan.,.,.,didnt they used to be called "Hinge" .,.,or somthing.,.,.from wut i remember i think they sounded like nu metal bs.,.,but i dont have a good memory.,.,.,tell me some songs to go d/l or something

hehe, meshuggah are crazy. i downloaded some notations from "the exquisite machinery of torture", sat down behind my kit, and... failed. i just can't tell every single limb to beat a different time. but the guitarists (from what i've heard so far) seem to be more drummer than guitarist, for they play along the insane stuff the drummer plays, but use almost no variation in chords. please tell me if i should know better.

You´ll want to check out The August Prophecy too.
Fucking insane Jazz hard/grindcore.

I Just dropped Contradictions Collapse & None on the floor and it shattered to pieces.. wtf?

About the new album, from the meshforum by 'fisk':

Just called Thomas on the phone, he was in the studio together with Mårten... apparently they've done all the drumstuff and guitarstuff on the demo, with just adding/mixing the vocals on it.

We were mostly discussing the new homepage, but I managed to squeeze some information out of him, I'll list it here:

* For those who are worried shit is going simplistic, lay our chin down to the floor, because things are the very opposite. Apparently Thomas sat and wondered WHETHER HE WOULD BE ABLE TO PULL SOME MATERIAL OFF. Now, if a rhythmic god is doubtful, then this ought to be some fucked up material. He said that this is some of the most psyched out material they've ever produced.

* Things are NOT as fast and stressed as Chaosphere, apparently they're working more with the rhythmical complexity and alot more eerie dark mood with the material. Whereas they wanted a more ... structured song... so structured dark chaos matter is what we're expecting.

* I actually managed to hear some of it in the background; Mårten was tuning his guitar and somewhere in the background (I think) I heard something really really wierd. It felt a little like some parts on Thordendals "Sol Niger", but with a more meshuggian aspect to it all. Can't tell details, but I will review it as soon as they send me the demos (which I would be getting in the near future)

Apparently there is a huge pile of material that they've put together... and Thomas was a bit sceptic over whether some would ever appear on the final album, just because it was "Too wierd" ... I also asked whether they were going a bit commercial... then he said: "Fuck no, we're NEVER going nu-metal, we won't sell our balls to Satan, no matter if we're selling 2 records/year" ... Well, I already knew that anyway... but it's a message to you SOAD/POD/Limp/Slipknot/Machinehead fans, that Meshuggah are straying as far away from that as they possibly can.

Also, we WON'T be expecting any hitsong aimed towards the masses on the album. We won't see Meshuggah on the UK/US/Europe topcharts beside Christina Aguilera or whatever.

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Dillinger Escape Plan nu metal? No way!
Try download "43% Burnt" or anything else from the Calculating Infinty album.
'

never mind wut i say....that was dry kill logic..........i smoke too much weed.....:)

Originally posted by WarHead

I heard of dillinger escape plan.,.,.,didnt they used to be called "Hinge" .,.,or somthing.,.,.from wut i remember i think they sounded like nu metal bs.,.,but i dont have a good memory.,.,.,tell me some songs to go d/l or something

get the mullet burden
or destro's secret
or clip the apex...accept instruction
or variations on a cocktail dress
some of my favorites :D