Metal 2022

Heaving Earth are pretty essential if you're into Immolation, Hate Eternal, Tucker-era Morbid Angel etc. Furious and infernal death metal.

that album is spectacular tbh. instantly obvious home run and i say that as someone who isn’t always the biggest fan of the basic style. more of an overwhelming mindmelt than just about any DM people tag as ‘psychedelic’ or w/e.

i would also second ultra silvam, ultra solid as always. and probably wampyrinacht given their last album was an AOTY contender, haven’t listened yet though.

i’ll chuck a few obvious ones in there: new chasm is very good, major step up from the previous. new inanna rules. BM-wise, new negative plane is massive as expected, and predatory light is a good supplementary album in a similar style if you like that.

Reactions: CiG
I'm liking the new Chasm album more than I thought I would. Seems like it has crap U.S. distribution. Anyone know a distro with the CD?

I bought it and the cassette directly from Corchado because I’m kvlt like that.

it’s probably sold out in the states currently because VIC records is expensive~ish and I’ve heard they refuse to trade their releases.
VIC and Selfmadegod still have it though if I really wanted a copy.

So, of course, I'm finding a bunch of new stuff (or things are finally clicking) now that I've compiled my list.

Aside from The Chasm

Dream Unending

Tzompantli

Faceless Burial

Inanna

None of this stuff is particularly my style which is why I paid less attention or spent less time with it. The last two might not have challenged my Top 20 anyway but they grew on me (especially the last track on Inanna). I have a weird relationship with Death/Doom so I didn't pay much attention to the first two but I listened to the Dream Unending when going to bed and DAMN. It's beautiful. The Tzompantli is cool Death/Doom that incorporates Mesoamerican instruments and themes into their music that thankfully has plenty of mid-paced groove to keep my attention. Might have to edit those two into the list.

That Inanna album is pretty good. Didn't consider it for the top 10 mostly because i forget about it and it's hard to keep track of everything, but also got to draw the line somewhere. Otherwise you go from top 10 to top 100.

@Opeth17 , you might dig this....oldschool shit. Some Pestilence vibes, at least in the vocals.

Thought it was pretty awesome. I might have to make a spot for it somewhere in the top 10. :err:

Reactions: SonOfNun and CiG
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna have to edit my list. I love these two albums:

Autophagy - Bacteriophage

Mother of Graves - Where the Shadows Adorn

I also finally listened to that Halo Effect album and it's way better than I anticipated. Few gay moments, but pretty great nostalgia of Colony-Clayman era In Flames overall.