METAL ALBUM COVERS THAT ROCKED THE WORLD,

EarthSkynSea

Oct 31, 2005
Toronto
The U.K.'s Guardian Unlimited has published a short interview with James Sherry, co-author of the book "Heavy Metal Thunder: Album Covers That Rocked the World", a collection of album covers from metal's golden age that began with BLACK SABBATH's 1970 eponymously titled debut.

Heavy-metal album covers are a product of the typical obsessions of a teenage boy: muscle, fantasy, horror movies and violence. "It was Marvel comics with guitars," says Scott Ian from ANTHRAX. "They were larger-thanlife real super-heroes."

Large-breasted women make an occasional entrance, but this is a mainly masculine domain. Strangely, bouffant hair and make-up was briefly acceptable in this manly world. "Looking back, it's completely ludicrous," says Sherry, who delved into the record collection of his adolescence to supply "Heavy Metal Thunder" with many of its images. "But at the age of 13 or 14 I took this all very seriously. Death, blood and mayhem were at the center of my world."

GREAT ALBUM COVERS ANYONE?

Here's one of my alltime fav album covers. That Rodney Matthews has done quite a few album covers and various other things but this is truly beautiful and sometimes I just sit and stare at this album for hours on end. Hmmmm right time for my medication I think:)

PRAYING%20MANTIS%20-%20TIME%20TELLS%20NO%20LIES.jpg

Wish you could see the rear view cos there is the huge praying mantis and a very cool wizard there as well - gorgeous stuff:D

There's some gaff 'darn sarf' that mounts album covers in a frame with an engraved description and the only ones I've contemplated having are Rainbow Rising and Powerage. They didn't exactly shake the world but they're not bad covers. Scorps' original Virgin Killer probably did shake the world,for all the wrong reasons, and I wouldn't want it on my wall!

Black Sabbaths 1st album is one of the best Album covers ever.Number Of The Beast is great although most Maiden covers are.As for none metal The Clash London Calling is great as is Joy Divisions Closer.