Metal documentary

Honestly, the editor or producer of the film should have given you the specs for exporting the audio out. A safe bet would be to export the audio as a lossless WAV. A little more info about the project would help too.

Isn't most video standardized at 48k/24 bit WAV? Don't have much experience with sound for video though so hopefully someone can chime in.

Im the author, editor and the co producer of the doc too
this is a documentary about my past years in the algerian metal scene
how many "dbfs " should i go for the music and the voice? are there any standards?
the documentary will be published on youtube

Reactions: Fox Mulder
I work for Dolby and deal with this pretty much daily. For theatrical releases (i.e. films) you need to mix in a Dolby calibrated room (room is lined up to 85dBC with 20 dB of headroom). For TV you're dealing with loudness measurements, so you'll need some way of measuring it. Each production company/broadcaster will have a delivery spec sheet that will detail things like required loudness, dynamic range, allowable peaks etc
For audio delivery it will always be wav files at 48kHz/24 Bit for pretty much anything with a picture. 96kHz creeps in sometimes, but usually just pisses people off as a lot of kit doesn't work properly at higher sample rates and it changes all your studio clocking.

Also, if you're planning on a DVD - there's a lot of DVD-Players with (crapy) compression on the audio. I won't ever go above -14dB RMS and -1 dBTP (intersample peaks). EDIT: And this will still be pretty loud.
EDIT: To be more conservative, maybe aim for -18LUFS, to get started?
It really depends on your publication form.

You'd be on the save side to just go directly for EBU R 128. Simply aim for -23LUFS. I believe more and more broadcasting stations will be getting on board. But at this time your material will sound quiter, compared to a lot of stuff out there.

...and it's hard to go that low with higain-guitars. :headbang:

Last edited: