Time Sig/Tempo question

JasinElric

Straf Drah Studio
Apr 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I can't figure out what time sig/tempo this riff is. I just want to track it tight and get it right with the grid for drums and such. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply! I had it at 4/4 at 140, but I think the offbeat thing was messing me up. Is it possible use the grid for programing drums to this? I'm kinda lost on how.

you're probably getting thrown off because the first note happens before 1, so if you're aligning the first note to beat 1, the whole thing will be off

Thanks for the quick reply! I had it at 4/4 at 140, but I think the offbeat thing was messing me up. Is it possible use the grid for programing drums to this? I'm kinda lost on how.

There isn't really an off beat; it's just a particular rhythm that's still in 4/4 time. If you really want to you can separate it into miniscule sections of 2/4 or something I guess, but it doesn't make any sense. Personally I'd switch between hitting the kick and 2 cymbals at the same time and a steady 4/4 beat. In other words:

Quarter note K-C-C --> 3 quarter notes of a steady 4/4 --> Quarter note of K-C-C, repeat. At the end of the phrase use half notes, since that's the rhythm. Just follow the guitars, basically.

in case anyone was interested how this panned out

thanks again hommies!

Last edited by a moderator: