Metal festivals supporting the emerging artist

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Do any of you folks attend the European festivals? I'm thinking of going to Metal Camp this year and was surprised to see they have an entire separate "talent" stage dedicated to unsigned artists. I thought that was pretty cool considering you're not always going to be at the main stage anyway. If talent scouting were to exist, I'd imagine they'd check out festival stages such as this one.

Is this unique or do other Euro fests host a similar stage?

I think it is a smokescreen mostly. Wacken has the Wacken Evolution Tent Stage (or had...haven't been there since 2001), which was mainly a playground for small bands, but not only independent ones. The organisators often pushed off some of the hightlights (at least for insiders) to that stage with horrible playing times (2 a.m.) or overlapping with bands you wanted to see as well. I remember Artillery, Destiny's End and Steel Prophet as examples, the latter even during their time on Nuclear Blast.

It's basically a means for the makers to show the quantity of their annual lineup, but you have to consider that especially in Wacken, bands pay awfully high fees to be allowed to play - under bad conditions, as many have uttered already. This festival in particular is just for the cash. Metal Camp is ridiculously cheap due to its location. I have heard good things about it, but such mass events are really not my cup of tea, and independent bands hoping to break something at such an event are most likely to be disillusioned. People go there for the big names and might only stumble accidentally upon them.

^ Hmmm, A Night on Wacken?

Do some go there, end up drinking too much, then pass out before they see the bands they say they wanted see? Do some of them go in knowing they're not even going to watch any bands but go there just to hang/socialize/partay/camp out? If so, it may comfort you to know that we have similar types over here.

Back at the turn of the century, (damn that makes me feel old) I thought it would be cool to attend a Wacken event at some point, but nowadays I don't think I'd want to do it. I don't need to be plastering Canadian identity tags on my clothes and all my stuff to avoid the wrath of the AmeriH8ers.

I agree with you. I am not really into the whole socializing/drinking stuff (I haven't tasted alcohol for what?...about 5 years maybe...), and that's what a large part of people come there for! The music becomes the periphery for the celebration of a "scene" that consists of booze, too loud and bad sounding bands, abysmal weather and hygiene condtions.

Maybe the aggressive potential is bigger in Northern America. I am already frustrated when I see some obvious nazis that nobody prevents from blurting out their paroles.

As I understand it, Metal Camp in Slovenia is a little laid back, filled with mostly hippies. It's so off the beaten track as well. I mean, the closest airport is in Trieste, Italy. :tickled: Quite honestly, I'm going because I'm looking for something to do in a spare week I have in Europe and I'm actually really astounded by the surrounding area of Tomlin, Slovenia. The fact that there's a metal fest going on at the same time is just icing on the cake. We're going to rent a jeep and probably only catch the fest in the evenings.

fest_area_03.jpg
tolmin_7.jpg

It's a festival that backs on to its own beach. :loco:

I had a misconception about festivals in general, I always thought that the bands were paid to appear but my understanding now is that the bands must pay the promoter to be part of a festival, don't know if this it true for every festival? OZZfest will be free for the fans this year, people were wondering how this is possible? In past years bands(on the second stage) were charged at least $75,000 for slot on OZZfest, don't know if this fee was charged to the main stage, headlining groups?
It seems to me things are the other way around, emerging artist are supporting the festival? I guess it gives them exposure to a larger audience?
The real surprise for me was many bands made up that fee from money made from selling merchandise at the festival.
Is it any wonder concert shirts cost so much -

I would add Texas Madfest to that category if you look at their roster.

I don't know much about Maryland deathfest... but I have to imagine a number of the bands might fall under the category too?

Yes, most festivals require the band to pay in order to get a slot. So, it's not always the best bands that get on the bill, but those that can either foot the bill or get sponsorship.

Hell, even March Metal Meltdown in NJ required a $1,000 fee to get on the bill ...

Farseer of the Benighted Land said:
.Hell, even March Metal Meltdown in NJ required a $1,000 fee to get on the bill ...
*physically restrains self*

So was that straight up cold hard cash?

The Milwuakee Metalfest forced bands buy tickets and then turn around and try to recoup.

But I shouldn't be using the past tense, Koshick is giving it another go.

http://www.metalfest.com

it's not always the best bands that get on the bill, but those that can either foot the bill or get sponsorship.

I go to many live shows(at times 3,4 a week)
Now I know why I keep seeing/hearing the same lousy groups all the time.
It may be good to be persistent but if you're not getting any positive response from the crowd
its time to go to plan 2 or try something different -

^ I know many bands that should've folded years ago, and yet they keep on cranking out crap, year after year, with the same stale live performances. In the end, who am I to criticize someone doing what they love? I just wish I could be spared the pain!!

Yes, most festivals require the band to pay in order to get a slot. So, it's not always the best bands that get on the bill, but those that can either foot the bill or get sponsorship.

Hell, even March Metal Meltdown in NJ required a $1,000 fee to get on the bill ...

METALCAMP kindly asks the emerging bands to "buy 35-40 tickets" in order to play the show . The band that sells more, plays headliner. Consider that the tickets are around 30-40 euros if I am not wrong. :puke: